Hydrogen Peroxide: A liquid oxygenating product. Hydrogen peroxide is not a good source of oxygen. It is toxic at any level where you would get sufficient oxygen in a water solution. As a greenhouse mist it should be used no more than one part per million in air and a complete change out before entering the area unprotected. Used incorrectly hydrogen peroxide can be the source of considerable plant damage.It comes in concentrations from 3 to 100%. The 100% variety is used in rocket fuel. Most our purposes can be served with the 3% version that’s available at grocery stores and pharmacies. It can be mixed at 8 oz. per gallon of water to spray as an organic disease fighter on plants. It is quite effective on bacterial diseases.
Hydrogen peroxide, H2O2 is the equivalent of a water molecule with an extra oxygen atom. It can be used as a disinfectant, an antiseptic and a bleach.
This colorless, odorless liquid is not a stable compound. It must be protected from light and kept in a cool place.
Hydrogen peroxide can be poured on minor cuts and scrapes. It will foam as it breaks down to water and the extra oxygen – a gas that bubbles to the surface. The high concentration of oxygen kills bacteria. The same is true with plants. I recommend splashing it on wounds on trees.
Concentrated hydrogen peroxide can be used to kill weeds, even aquatic weeds. The concentration in this case needs to be 10%. At his writing there is no commercial product. To create a 10% solution, purchase 30% concentrated material from the feed store and dilute with water down to 10%.
BE VERY CAREFUL HANDLING CONCENTRATED HYDROGEN PEROXIDE! IT CAN BURN SKIN BADLY AND DAMAGE EYES SEVERELY!
Hydrogen Peroxide Tip: Add 2-3 cap fulls to a bucket of minnows to keep them alive longer.