EFFECTIVE NON-TOXIC MOSQUITO CONTROL
Seeing and hearing the reports from all the interviews I did yesterday and this morning, I have realized that folks aren't "getting it". I'm not saying "don't treat" - I'm saying treat correctly with a program that's more cost effective and works.
Mosquitoes can be controlled and it doesn't have to be dangerous. The effective and non-toxic site management program for mosquito control is:
1. Empty standing water where possible. Even small containers such as pot saucers, old tires, soda bottles and cans hold enough water for mosquito breeding.
2. Treat water that cannot be emptied such as drain lines and sewers with (Bti - Bacillus thuringiensis 'Israelensis') products such as Mosquito Dunks, Mosquito Bits or Bactimos Briquettes. Surface standing water can be treated the same way or with gambusia mosquito fish.
3. Homeowners can spray to kill adult mosquitoes with plant oil pesticides such as Earth Harvest, Avenger, and EcoSMART. Pest control operators can use EcoEXEMPT. Garlic sprays work well to repel the insects for up to 30 days. Even better, broadcast dry minced garlic to the site at 1 - 2 lbs. per 1000 square feet. Bonide Mosquito Beater Granules is another good commercial dry product.
4. Use organic landscape management to encourage birds, bats, fish, dragonflies and other beneficial insects.
5. Use skin repellents that contain natural repellent herbs such as aloe vera, eucalyptus, tea tree oil, lavender, vanilla, citronella and other helpful herbs. The Center for Disease Control now recommends lemon eucalyptus. Taking a vitamin B complex daily also seems to help greatly. DEET products should not be used, especially on children – as is stated on the label. Read Dangers of DEET and Natural Mosquito Repellents
West Nile Virus Pesticides & Spraying
Toxic Ingredients of the Aerial Mosquito Spray