It is currently Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Hwy 4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:17 am
Posts: 15
Hwy 4 between I-20 and Graford show outstanding fall colors when the time is right. Haven't seen it in awhile. It's worth the drive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:17 am
Posts: 315
Location: Dallas,TEXAS
Does anyone else have red oaks that turn yellow before borwning and dropping? I'm begining to worry about whether about two of mine having oak wilt. :cry: The yellowing is following the pattern that's indicitive of oak wilt, but I'm not sure if this is necessarily conclusive. I'm fairly certain that they followed this same color pattern last fall, but I'm not 100% positive.

No other red oaks in our neighborhood are showing the same yellowing and mine are dropping early. One of the two has already lost 60% of it's leaves, the other about 40%. The two are about 60 feet apart and a neighbor's live oak which is roughly the same distance away is showing no signs of oak wilt symptoms.

Neither of them has been pruned since we've been here (since June 2002), althought they had been pruned away from the house at some point in the past. I haven't seen any outward signs of fungal matting underneath the bark of either tree. Would bark on an infected tree be easy to remove?

Based on all of this information, is this something I need to call an arborist in to take a look at?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:30 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:38 am
Posts: 784
Location: ,
Any chance the red oak is a northern red in stead of a shumard or Texas red? That's precisely the way a northern red or a hybrid that's half northern red, would behave in the soils here.

_________________
Shepherd of the Trees
It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:17 am
Posts: 315
Location: Dallas,TEXAS
I haven't seen any good reference imges of Northern Red oaks. What's the best means of positively identifying them? The leaves look exactly like what I've seen in reference photos for Texas Red oak - slight more pronounced cut in the leaf pattern than a Shumardii. Definitely didn't look like Southern Red. I've taken two leaf samples to two nurseries and both said they looked like "red oak" for whatever that's worth.

Both of the trees have looked great in the spring and summer. No leaf discoloration of any kind, they fill in fairly quickly, lots of acorns, root flare well exposed.. just this odd fall behavior for what I'm assuming they are.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:36 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:38 am
Posts: 784
Location: ,
Well from what I have seen, northern reds have a more pronounced cut to the leaf separations, and the general structure of the tree is a bit more triangular (the canopoy shape) rather than a rounder canopy on the southern, shumard or Texas reds.

I'd just make sure the site is getting organic care and baby them with the sick tree treatment and see what happens.

_________________
Shepherd of the Trees
It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by eWeblife