It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:10 pm 

Hi,

A few weeks ago I scalped my St. Augustine grass before I went on the internet and found out that I should not have. It is sparse and struggling while all my neighbors lawns are all green. Is there anything I can do now to to help it or is it just a matter of waiting or did I do permanent damage :( I have attached a photo.

Thanks,

Geri
Dallas, TX

Attachments:
St. Augustine 2.jpg
St. Augustine 2.jpg [ 163.93 KiB | Viewed 14905 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:54 pm 

It's not a problem, it's just scalped. :lol: Fertilize now then water for an HOUR. It will be fine. Just don't do this to st. augustine again. It's ok though.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:55 am 

Great...... thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:57 am 

Dead stolons in May after the wettest winter in Dallas history... Looks sick to me. Have you figured out why its not green? grubs? fungus?

Be sure to carefully control your watering.

Some of your blades appear yellow. Do they have yellow vertical stripes?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:41 am 

I agree with EAnton. Yours is not normal. For whatever reason you got hit harder by the snow than your neighbors. It is happening all over North Texas. All the lawn forums are abuzz with this topic.

You can either resod or stick it out. If you stick it out, watch for weeds and pull them at the first sign.

In the mean time, look for ordinary corn meal (not corn gluten meal) at your local feed store. Apply at a rate of 20-30 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Corn meal should take care of any fungus disease that might be there and will fertilize the grass you still have. You can apply as often as you like but monthly is what the extreme organic lawn nuts do.

You could also spray with milk or a milk/molasses mix every week or two. Set the sprayer dial for 3 ounces per gallon and try to get a full 3 ounces on 1,000 square feet.

Reset your mower to the highest setting and do not mow until you have something to mow at that height. I usually suggest St Augustine growers weld their mower to the highest setting to avoid someone coming in trying to be helpful and resetting the mower back to low. St Aug never needs to be scalped or even mowed at the second lowest setting. Your actual height will have to be negotiated among all the adults in the house (my wife likes it lower).