It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:21 pm 

Grass selection topics are heavily read on this forum, so I'd like to consolidate the experience for each grass in one place if I could.

Please reply to this message to tell us your stories and give us your opinions about buffalo grass. You can pick any of the questions below to reply to.

How does it look?
How much water does it need/get?
How do you mow it?
Are weeds a problem?
Do you use fertilizer? What kind and when?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:31 pm 

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
Grass selection topics are heavily read on this forum, so I'd like to consolidate the experience for each grass in one place if I could.

Please reply to this message to tell us your stories and give us your opinions about buffalo grass. You can pick any of the questions below to reply to.

How does it look?
How much water does it need/get?
How do you mow it?
Are weeds a problem?
Do you use fertilizer? What kind and when?

A good public place to see buffalo grass in action in Dallas is at the Forest Lane DART station (located a few blocks east of I-75 and Forest lane). Buffalo grass is planted throughout the parking area of the train sation. The entire site is in full sun. The grass looks beautiful to me. I've noticed a few weeds but mostly the grassy areas are weed-free. I have no idea how DART tends to this grass (is there a DART lawn crew?). I *suspect* it was planted as a low maintenance alternative. It will be interesting to see how the Buffalo grass at this site holds up over time.

By the way, for those unfamiliar with the Dallas area, DART stands for Dallas Area Rapid Transit.

Howard Williams
Dallas, Texas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:57 am 

We put in buffalo grass (sod) two years ago and it is doing great. The only problem is weeding -- it is not growing thick enough to choke out weeds, so we do a lot of pulling. On the other hand, if we didn't entirely neglect it, it might do better - we have never fertilized it and haven't watered it since the first season (we watered about once a week to get it established). So the mere fact that it has both survived and still looks good after the weeds are pulled is pretty impressive in my opinion :)

Post subject: Buffalo grass.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:19 am 

horseranch wrote:
We put in buffalo grass (sod) two years ago and it is doing great. The only problem is weeding -- it is not growing thick enough to choke out weeds, so we do a lot of pulling. On the other hand, if we didn't entirely neglect it, it might do better - we have never fertilized it and haven't watered it since the first season (we watered about once a week to get it established). So the mere fact that it has both survived and still looks good after the weeds are pulled is pretty impressive in my opinion :)

Would you have any pictures of your lawn? Would be intersting to see...

John C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:39 am 

horseranch wrote:

Buffalo grass does not need much fertilizer and it does not need much water, once established. You are most likely taking care of it just fine. Also, the definition of a weed is undesireable vegetation growing where you would rather not have it. Diversification is nature's way. She does not like a monoculture. A monoculture is a welcome mat for problems of disease and pests. :wink:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:25 pm 

I have two spots in my back yard with Buff. They were in full sun but as the shade has crept in so have the weeds. I mowed it twice a year, watered when it started to turn brown and fed it once a year with Bioform granular. I may have to consider doing something else now that I have more shade.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:02 pm 

Can Buff be seeded in an established Bermuda lawn? I've about had it with my Bermuda lawn. Watering with a hose end sprinkler and it still looks burnt.

I hate to undertake resodding the entire lawn but I like the low maint. feature of Buff. Hey, I'm lazy, what can I say?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:22 pm 

Glenn wrote:
Can Buff be seeded in an established Bermuda lawn? I've about had it with my Bermuda lawn. Watering with a hose end sprinkler and it still looks burnt.

I hate to undertake resodding the entire lawn but I like the low maint. feature of Buff. Hey, I'm lazy, what can I say?!

Are you going to seed or plant solid sod? Solid sod is expensive, but well worth the money. Either way, the bermuda will need to be removed first along with the roots and rhizomes.

From http://www.dirtdoctor.com/dallasnews.php?id=34

Q. I am a recent convert to the natural way. In your literature, you talk about getting the weeds out before you add compost, green sand, etc. If I just scrape off the weeds, is that enough? Will they still reproduce from the roots? Or will that individual plant come back if I don’t get all the roots? – F.L., Allen, TX

A. Bermuda is the main weed that will continue to return if not removed but even its roots remain. Grasses can only regrow from the stems. Bermuda’s stems are above ground (stolons) and below ground (rhizomes)...

and from http://www.dirtdoctor.com/dallasnews.php?id=390&set_theme=1

Question: We just had buffalo grass sod installed. Our landscape person said to water it daily for two months for it to become established. After two weeks, however, it appears fairly well established, and I am concerned that I may be overwatering it. Can you tell me the best care and watering for this lawn?

R.I., Dallas

Answer: You're smarter than the landscape guy. Once any grass, but especially buffalo, roots and starts to grow, it needs much less than daily watering. Buffalo grass rarely needs more than one good soaking every two weeks after it starts growing. When it is established, watering once a month is enough.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:44 pm 

I started my lawn 3 years ago from seed using the Cody variety of Buffalo grass. This grass was advertised to:

- Be faster growing than other BG varieties,
- Be greener than other BG varieities,
- Extole the virtues of BG that we all love (Low water requirement, low-fertilizer requirement, lower frequency of mowing than other grasses due to slow growth, etc.

NONE of the above worked as advertised.

This grass took two seasons to establish 75-80% of lawn. In the meantime, weeds have taken over 30-40% of my lawn, and they are not weeds that are easily done away with (ie goose grass). Additionally, if your lawn is at all sloped, this lawn will not establish quidkly enough to prevent erosion of your soil; after a couple of downpours my lawn was wahing into the street and into the sewers. One thing you don't hear much about is the "seed heads" that grow on the male plant. These heads quickly turn brown in the Texas sun and and your lawn looks dull green\brownish until you mow these heads off. Thus, if you want a decent look for your lawn you must mow at LEAST every 5-7 days.

The greeness of the lawn is pretty good, but doesn't even begin to compare to the bermuda lawns that border ours.

Water cost has been extreme, due to the sparse growth of the BG. Bermuda lawns around me do well with much less water due to the fact that evaporation from the thick Bermuda is somewhat mitigated by the thickness of the Bermuda "canopy".

Sod, which should be spelled $od, is the only way to go on BG lawns. It cost at least 10X as much as seed, but it is the only way to extablish any kind of acceptable lawn.

A neighbor of mine had his .7 acre lawn sodded with BG at a cost of 11K. His lawn looks decent, but again does not compare to the Bermuda lawns in our neighborhood. Furthermore, his lawn is being taken over by the highly-agressive Bermuda lawns that border his, so in the next3-5 years he will have a Bermuda lawn at a cost of 11K, rather than 2-3K that a Bermuda hydromuch would have cost him.

Think LONG AND HARD before you buy into the "miracle" of Buffalograss. If you don't mind the above problems and are willing to accept a lawn that is thin, comparatively pale, and looks mediocre at best, then BG may be for you; otherwise, keep looking (as I am now).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:49 pm 

For a photo of buffalo grass lawn: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_image.php?pic=61

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:08 pm 

With the Dirt Dr. praising Buffalo Grass so very much I can not help but at least try it!

I have recently purchased and moved onto 2 acres. I will be attempting to seed "Cody" this April or May.

I have heard so many pros and cons. The people who "hate" it, hate it VERY much. The people who "love" it, love it very much.

Since buffalo grass is more expensive than "bermuda" and "St. Augustene" I will only be seeding a small area (approx. 8000 square feet). I will also attempt to grow "plugs" from seed using seed starter trays.

If Buffalo Grass is what the "Doctor" says it is, I will do my entire 2 acres one small area at a time.

I will attempt to post photos if I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:45 pm 

You don't have any shade?

Also, I know it is more expensive, but you will havew better results with planting solid sod. Less chance for other things crowding it.

What is currently there?

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:46 am 

Currently lots of weeds and left-over hay (I think). The property was approximately 60 acres of farmland years ago. I think the farmer planted Hay.

I have tilled the area that I want to seed (in January). I will begin the process of killing any left over weeds in the next several weeks.

I know that sod will cover more but my budget is low. However, my patience is high. I will be patient. I don't have to have a golf course.

The rest of the acreage will be clover, allysum, and wildflowers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:51 pm 

Sounds good. It is wize not to want a monoculture, sounds like you have a pretty nice mix. Take a look at the grass seeds at www.seedsource.com. They have some great mixes you may want to experiment with...

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:09 am 

I planted Buffalo grass"609 "2 years ago and it has done everything I hoped it would, looks great, low maintenance, requires little or no watering. Does have more weeds but I have been applying Corn Gluten Meal early spring and fall and the weeds have gotten better. I only mowed three time last year.