It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:40 am 

Help!

I have bermuda grass that grows very slowly and appears very dry despite our rainy summer. I would prefer not to use fertilizers, but I want my grass to look thick, green, and healthy instead of dry, bare, and with weeds.

Note: I mow my lawn every other week, as the grass grows extremely slow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Black_Thumb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:24 pm 

There are two things that Bermuda grass likes and that is too be mowed and fed. Mow it short and often, feed it dry organic fertilizer at least three times a year, five times a year IMO is even better. I like BioForm Dry but it does stink for a few days. If you can get past the smell, it works great, if not, look into Texas Tee or Gardenvilles Ferts or other meal based varieties, they do not have the manure in them or the smell associated with it. Give the grass and landscape a foliar feeding every three to four weeks during the growing season in the early morning, a good one to go with is Garrett Juice ready to use, it is fast, simple and works well. I personally mix my own foliar feed, which is one cup liquid Seaweed, one cup Liquid Molasses, one cup Medina Soil Activator, one oz. fish emulsion and one oz. orange oil in an Ortho dial-a-sprayer set at 2 oz and sprayed evenly until gone over the entire landscape.

We are nearly out of the growing season, so, your best bet for now is to put down Corn Gluten meal this Sept 15th or 30th at 40 lbs per 1000 sq feet (which ever is predicted to be dry afterward for a while). Apply dry fertilizer in October to give the roots something to grow on over the winter. In the spring start a program or one similar to the one I stated above.

We need to know what area you live in to be able to assist you better, please add this in your profile.

Also, read the FAQ that Mr. Hall posted for all at the top of this board and also the Sticky about Bermuda, these will both give you a lot of information for you to grow on and in turn, your grass should too.

Post subject: Bermuda grass
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:13 am 

I have found the best way to make bermuda grow is to make a landscape bed where you do not want it, and it becomes impossible to eradicate!
QMJ