It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: No doubt...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:49 pm 

Hi there,

I decided it was time for me to join this forum and add the northern perspective from up here in southern Ontario.

There is no doubt in my mind of the benefits of fertilizing with corn meal. I look after two small golf courses and this year i fertilized the greens with corn meal at 10 lbs/1000 sqft. THe quality of the turf has improved drastically and is getting better every week. tHe greens are highland bent grass and have been basically showing no improvment over the last three years. Until this year they have had weed and feed (spray)applied 4 times thru the season. The greens were very compacted, and the playing surface was very rough. I plug aerated the greens in early May and tossed 'rolled corn' by hand and then topdressed with sand to fill the aerification holes. By early june the greens were starting to get softer and looking healthy. I have been hand pulling black medic, white clover, dandelion, plaintain(i think) and i think i am finally getting the best of the weeds.

THe turf has become soft underfoot, and sucks in water like a damp sponge. THe root zone is approx 2'' thick and very dense. THere are still some problem areas , but i am certain that two more applications of corn will remedy the problem areas.

Thanks to dchall for steering me in the direction of organic fertilizer.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:40 pm 

I'm twisting Dave's arm to publish an article in The Dirt on his accomplishments with a totally organic golf course. The only problem is Dave has so many fantastic before and after pictures, The Dirt isn't big enough!

I'm pretty sure the article will have to wait until after the golfing season in Canada. Fortunately, there is a definite end to the golfing season in Canada. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:31 pm 

I kinda wish the golf season didnt end, but it provides lots of time for reflection and planning for the next step to a fully organic golf course.

THere seems to be alot of doubt amongst the locals about the viability of an organic golf course, but when they see the results there will be no remaining doubt.

The simplicity of the organic way is hard for some people to fit in their heads. Seems to me that nature already knows what to do, we just need to let nature take its course. Make the golf course fit the landscape rather than the other way around. Wouldnt it be nice if more people were as patient as mother nature....

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:07 pm 

Following the golf course "the natural way" thread. Our own HG was one of the people speaking the in May/June issue of AAA's Texas Journey about eco friendly golf courses in Texas. In Texas there were 4 public courses and 7 private courses which meet an Audubon International certification process. According to the article there are about 100 other courses in some stage of becoming certified.

Where is that darned thumbs up emoticon? :lol: I give two.