It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:25 pm 

I got my TPSL report back and it stated that my lawn fertilizer recommendation would be as follows (lbs/1000 sq.ft.) 2.00 S, 4.25 N, 0.00 P2O5, 5.73 K2O. Are these numbers typical for a fairly new organic lawncare program? I have an approximate 10K sq. ft. yard and these numbers seem quite high. I know a 20lb/1000 sq. ft of dry molasses wouldn’t even touch these numbers. By my calculations I would need 17.7 bags per year of an organic fertilizer with a nitrogen rating of 6 to get my full 4.25lb of N within the year. 6% of 40lb bag = 2.4lb N 42.5lb of N required for my 10k yard. 42.5/ 2.4 = 17.7 bags!

your thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 am 

Did you ask for organic recommendations? Even if you did, their numbers are based on the synthetic nutrient paradise. They can be reduced as much as 60%. You are right in that 1 or two applications of dry molasses is often enough. It's about all I use along with microbes and Garrett Juice Plus. Their report is still helpful in establishing a base line to work from.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:29 pm 

They did state some organic recommendations, i guess they just needed to provide a quantified number or range of what would be considered adequate for a healthy lawn. It stated my readily avalable nitrates were low 33lb/ac (35-90 good) however i had a high percentage of slow release organic humus, 3.68%. Shouldn't the quickly available nitrates always be low considering they are the quickest or "first" nitrates to be processed? ...unless just resently applied...

They also recommended a soil inoculant of beneficial soil microbes. nematodes?