It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:05 pm 

Not sure which forum to post my question in. I'm working on my lawn so I chose this one. I am just getting started and I am having trouble finding Texas Greensand here in Florida. One place sells Greensand by Espoma. I couldn't find much about it, but the Espoma company appears to be in New Jersey so I'm assuming it's Jersey Greensand. Another place sells what is called Jersey Greensand. I remember reading that they are not the same as the Texas version but I don't know how different they are. Is Jersey Greensand good enough or do I need to keep searching for the Texas version?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:40 am 

The blurb on the Nature's Guide Texas Greensand bag says

Quote:
Texas Green Sand is glauconite - a naturally occuring mineral rich in iron. Formed from ancient seabed deposits, Texas Green Sand helps hold moisture in the ground so that it is released more slowly. When incorporated into clay soils its friable nature works to decrease compaction. Its texture and chemical composition also make it an ideal amendment for sandy soils where it adds iron and potassium in a slow release form.

I've used some of the Espoma organic fertilizer types, but I haven't seen their greensand. I find it online, though, and they say it is glauconite. http://www.espoma.com/p_consumer/org_trad_overview.html

It looks like you'll be fine with the product you found.