It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: what grass to plant
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:13 pm 

no kids or pets on it. we put fescue in the shade about three weeks ago. mom says it's coming in. i am going over there to see it today. will try to put up some before and after pics this weekend. thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:52 pm 

i was over to moms yesterday and both the habiturf(sunny areas) and the fescue(shade) are coming up. planted three weeks ago.no mowing. they watered approx. five min per day for like first ten days during grow in. they prepped by tilling, laying down a thin layer of top soil(1/4") and then lightly rolled the seed just to tamp it down. now they are in stage II water restrictions so twice a week on the water(i believe they are running twenty min a pop 2x/week.)

results: spotty. you can see it coming in well in some areas, but in others nothing. probably need to put out more of both seeds but its a 2x week water scenario at least in the front. back is shall we say more open to discretion.

love the idea of using the Shadow Turf but not sure we can get it watered everyday as they suggest for the grow in with the watering restrictions. of course they can hand water it (on the off days)if they staff up. seems kind of pricey at $80 a flat. but of course mom's worth it! need to run some numbers on how much area a flat covers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:09 pm 

David, how does one get one's sprinkler system to only put out an eighth of and inch per hour? Ours is putting out approx. 1.5 inches and hour. Probably more if you compute in that some stations slightly over lap. Of course if I run it for fifteen minutes I will get 3/8".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:50 pm 

If watering two days a week with a sprinkler system doesn't work for the new lawn you may have to add in hand watering. Typically watering restrictions don't exclude hand watering or soaker hoses. Soaker hoses would result in some lush areas and leave the rest more sparse, but hand watering overall should keep the tender grass from crisping up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:11 pm 

Thanks NW. Yes, they are supplementing the twice a week with hand watering on the new lawn at Mom's.