It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:14 pm 

i own a home in orlando but live here in dallas. i am having difficulty trying to find any organic sources in Orlando. The HOA is requiring us to replace the grass that died as a result of drought and foreclosure. There are a lot of weeds so i had the tenant put clear plastic over the parts of the yard overrun by weeds to kill them prior to resodding but am unsure how to proceed. So far everyone i have talked to in Orlando wants to spray roundup first and then put down sod. The natural warehouse link on your website is selling a product called Avenger to get rid of weeds but i don't see it mentioned as a way to get rid of weeds in the library you have on your website. What should we do? Can we just mow the weeds really low and then level the yard, add a layer of compost on top of the entire area and then resod or do the weeds need to be removed first? i have tried to do research about this but i am getting confused. Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:11 pm 

Avenger is a fairly new product, orange oil (D-Limonene) and vinegar. Check your local feed and seed stores to see if they carry it. There may be other products, or you could mix D-Limonene and 10% vinegar to come up with a similar result.

Did you find the DirtDoctor.org source of business listings? There are organic listings all over the U.S. See if your area or somewhere nearby is listed.

What kind of grass do you have in the yard, and what variety are you planning to sod with? Is there an irrigation system, and will your tenant follow directions as far as how to set it up (water deeply and less frequently, to establish deep roots)?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:02 pm 

well, finding avenger is not the problem. i was just wondering if Howard recommended it because he does not mention it on his website as a product to use to deweed your yard.
What i need to know is what to do to prepare the lawn before putting down sod. Since i don't live there, i wanted to hire someone to do it for me but everyone i have talked to wants to use roundup before putting down the sod. i know that is not an option for me so i was wondering what would be the best method to use. So you think avenger is good to use to kill the weeds before putting down the sod instead of roundup?
Here is what i have seen people recommend:
1. mow weeds very low or handpull weeds
2. spread 1/2" compost over lawn area
3. install sod
4. fertilize
5. water
Is this the best and most inexpensive way to do it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

How to lay sod: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Sod-How-to-Lay_vq4705.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWjtVnOhN7k

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:14 am 

If you have large areas of old sod to remove, use a sod cutter. You can rent one in Orlando. If it is a mix of thin weeds, you can hoe them out or use a device with vertical cutting blades. They go by the name dethatcher, power rake, slit seeder, and a few other names. Those things will chew up the surface down to 1/8 inch if you like. Then blow all that chaff away or rake it up. Put the sod down after that, water it, and roll it down to get good contact with the soil. Roots will not grow through the air to reach soil underneath.