It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:44 pm 

My yard is starting to fall apart, I'm having problem identifying the issue. If anyone could help that would be great.

More info about my yard-

I water once a week
I live in West Texas, Abilene
My whole yard is St Augustine

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 119.06 KiB | Viewed 12703 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 83.92 KiB | Viewed 12703 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 204.08 KiB | Viewed 12703 times ]

Last edited by bdillenburg on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:59 pm 

Please post photos of the turf, the yard as a whole and then closer to some of the trouble spots.

How do you fertilize, deal with weeds, etc? How much shade is there, there are lots of things you can tell us and also information to be gleaned from photos.

If you take a digital photo and can size it down to about 1000px across and save it as a jpg it should load. If it won't then host it somewhere like Flickr or Photobucket (there are many free hosting sites) and use the IMG link to put it on the page.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:33 pm 

I was answering as you were posting photos.

When was this lawn put in, and if you know the answer to that, how was the area prepared? Do you use organic methods in your yard? What is the soil like, and how is the drainage? Do you know how much water you're actually putting out when you water?

Is anything else in the yard suffering also, or is it only the St. Augustine having trouble?

I'm not a turf expert, I'll just ask a few questions and one of the folks who pays attention (who likes to watch the grass grow!) can look at the information and make a diagnosis for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:58 pm 

I don't know when the lawn was put in, If I'm not mistaken it's been St Augustine since the house was built in the 70s,

I just started attempting organic, I just used Greensand fertilizer this last round. The soil drys out real fast, but here in Abilene most of the soil is clay dirt. I haven't measured the water levels yet, I did however dig up parts of the yard and the soil was wet very deep. I have some parts of Bermuda that seem to be doing fine, but they are very small sections. It's seem like the St Augustine is the only part not doing well. Any help is appreciated, last year I had a healthy lawn and now it's going south real quick.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:05 pm 

I realize it has been 2 months since you posted. Assuming things have not improved...

Do you have dogs or kids that play with cleats? It looks like holes dug in it. Do you have skunks, raccoons, possums, or other insect eating mammals? If you have those critters, then they might have been digging for grubs in your lawn. That would be excellent news, because then you know you're doing things right but just got unlucky in the grub lottery.

Seriously, measure how much water your putting on. Put some cat food or tuna cans out around in the green and dead spots and turn on your sprinkler. Time how long it takes to fill the cans.

If you don't have the critters, then you either have not enough water and the grass died from dehydration, or you have too much water and the roots rotted...and the grass died from dehydration.