It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bare Earth Needs HELP
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:11 pm 

We are currently building a new home in Van Alstyne, Texas. Southeast Grayson county. In total we have 10 acres, however about 7 acres is heavily wooded and I have no plans to ever alter that area. The remaining 3 acres where the house is being built is out in the open and in need of soil help. From the main road down to the our tree line the property drops 30-35 feet in elevation, so there has been ongoing erosion on the property. In order to create a building pad alot of dirt was moved and the old areas of erosion (1.5 - 2 feet deep) were filled in. Currently, my house is at the bottom of a slope that I estimate to be about 3% drop. It still has an erosion issue that needs to be addressed. This is also an area where alot of the dirt movement was done. So there is little growing there at this time. I have a soil test from A&M and after reading this forum I know that I may have been better sending my sample elsewhere. However, I am not sure that it matters... the use of one lab over another would not improve my dire soil conditions. :D

The following is the results of my soil test. Two samples are seperated by a /

pH 8.1 / 8.1

Conductivity 256 / 378

Nitrate 0 / 0

Phosphorus 1 / 2

Potassium 147 / 241

Calcium 37,915 / 40,416

Magnesium 64 / 122

Sulfur 8 / 7

Sodium 20 / 21

As soon as people stop driving all over the place where I plan to plant I would like to get some sort of erosion blanket down with grass seed to stabilize the area. I am thinking buffalo grass, but its not the time of the year for that I don't think.

What should my course of action be?
Also, the area in question is about 22,500 square feet, so its not a typical lawn area. Do I need to add to this soil? Do I need to put rye down for the winter and spread my erosion blanket over that? Not sure what to do at all. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:21 am 

The soil test does make a difference - the lab that Howard recommends is the Texas Plant and Soil Lab. The offer results that show you what trace minerals are actually available to the plants.

Clover is a good ground cover that will add nitrogen to the soil. Buffalo grass is a good choice, and there are probably other plants that are excellent if this is an open area that might not be mowed much. There will probably be various suggestions offered.

Think about re-doing that soil test via the TX Plant and Soil Lab, and have them send a copy of the results to Howard and he can give you more information about amendments.

Quote:
Contact, Location and Email

Phone Number
956-383-0739

Fax Number
956-383-0730

Mailing (Physical) Address
Texas Plant & Soil Lab
5115 West Monte Cristo Rd.
Edinburg, TX 78541

Geographic Address
FM 1925 (Monte Cristo Road) 3 1/2 miles west of US 281

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:47 pm 

Sorry I'm way late on this issue, but the fastest way to stop erosion is to cover it with a mulch. I like chipped/shredded wood from tree trimmers. They will usually dump an entire load for you for free if you ask them nicely. Make a long pile about 2 feet high across the top of the eroded area and scatter downhill at about 2 inches deep. You can put in grass next fall.