It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Newbie with a new yard
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:06 am 

Hello. I am new to this and also just moved into a new house that has a recently sodded (beginning of September) Bermuda grass lawn. Nothing has been done as far as fertilizing or any treatments (unless the builder did it and we didn't know). Is it too late now to do fertilizing or anything else?

Thanks!
Kerri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:02 am 

Personally I would never have anyone put down Bermuda grass - it's the worst weed in the world if you're interested in gardening. Buffalo grass is adapted to the area and needs a lot less water. However, moving forward, there are things you can do in your yard any month of the year in an organic program.

The home page of DirtDoctor.com has an area in the middle for finding Organic Advice. In particular, the Organic Maintenance Calendar and the Organic Guides that offer a lot of answers for beginners and refreshers for the more experienced users. In particular, take a look at the enumerations of acceptable products in the organic program and the basics of organic gardening. Those should help you form a plan and come back with more targeted questions.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:11 am 

Well we didn't have a choice on the type of grass that was put down.

I had already looked at the maintenance calendar and it looked like we should have fertilized in October, that's why I'm asking if we're too late to fertilize now.

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:42 pm 

Its not too late if you plan on using an organic program to treat your lawn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:03 pm 

The grass he had put down is not the same weed that has given bermuda the bad reputation. The grass he has is hybrid Tif 419. It is one of the finest lawns you can have. As it happens, the supply of that turf is so great, the cost to have that lawn is very low. At least the entry fee is low. Then you have to take care of it.

Here is the simple care for it

During the growing season...
Weekly - mulch mow 2x and water 1x
Monthly - fertilize with soybean meal

Sounds simple, huh? Well, mowing twice a week and fertilizing every month will get to you. It pays off, but it becomes tedious.

Mow at 3/4 to 1.5 inches. If you find that mowing that low causes localized scalping, write back.
Water a full inch as measured by cat food or tuna cans placed around the yard.
Fertilize at 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Hybrid bermuda can take all the nitrogen you can throw at it. Soybean meal has the highest protein value (highest nitrogen) of all the organic fertilizers. If you cannot get soybean meal, use corn gluten meal. At your location I would start fertilizing at the end of March. I know Howard has a big organic catalog of stuff to throw at your lawn. I don't think you need anything but basic fertilizer. You can try the different potions, powders, etc., but if you do, use them only one at a time and only on 1/4 of your lawn so you can easily see if it made a difference. If it doesn't make a difference after a month, then stop using it and move on to something else.