It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Clover in St. Augustine
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:32 pm 

I know the Doctor says he encourages clover in his St. Augustine. I know it fixes nitrogen. But my clover (which looks very healthy) has strong runners and it is getting thicker in my grass and I am afraid it will strangle out the grass. It really multiplied from fall to now here in Houston. If I keep the tops cut off I'd probably have to cut it twice a week, but would that get rid of it? (I have used only Microlife and dried molasses on my lawn for 12-15 years.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:18 pm 

I am not aware of an organic product or method that is sure to kill clover and leave the St Augustine alone. I am aware of a product and method that might work and would be worth a try. It's a little complicated to describe but much easier to do in practice.

1. Fill a hand spray bottle with water and a teaspoon of any clear shampoo. Mix it up and spray on the clover. If the spray sticks to the clover without forming any droplets, then you're almost there. If not, add another teaspoon of shampoo and try again. Keep adding by the teaspoon until the spray sticks to the clover leaves.

2. Put some baking soda in a sock or hose. This should not ruin the sock or hose.

3. Wet the clover and bang the soda filled sock above the dampened clover. The baking soda should filter out in a fine dust onto the clover and stick to it. Knock enough baking soda out to cover the clover pretty well.
DON'T DO THIS ON A WINDY DAY AND DON'T INHALE THE BAKING SODA DUST.
I don't know if the dust is a health problem but it is not comfortable.

This process is known to kill crabgrass and dallisgrass in a few days and leave St Augustine relatively unharmed. It is important that the baking soda stick to the leaves of the weed.