It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Help with weeds
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:42 pm 

I moved into a new house last November. It was newly sodded. Back in March, I put down some organic fertilizer along with Molasses. The grass that has come up looks good and healthy. The problem is that I'm getting a lot of weeds. I don't know if I should pull the broadleafs or leave them. Aren't they supposed to bring Minerals up to the top of the soil? If I pull them, do I remove those minerals from the landscape?

In the picture, you can see the grassy weeds I'm getting in the front. They are continuing to spread. Should I spray them with the vinegar weed killer or is something missing from my soil that's causing them to grow???

Chris
Attachment:
IMG_4199.JPG
IMG_4199.JPG [ 105.2 KiB | Viewed 12596 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help with weeds
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:10 am 

Weed seeds and warm wet weather are causing weeds, nothing more. Not sure what you mean about minerals. Whenever is convenient pull the weeds or spot spray with 10% vinegar on warm sunny days.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:25 am 

Those look like what I have ALL OVER MY YARD. I had them last year too, but not as much. I would advise you to pull them up (a lot of work) because if I'm correct these have little seed pods on the tips and that causes them to germinate. If they don't have seed pods on the end they're another KIND OF WEED that I have. I've used corn gluten meal for two years now to prevent them. No luck. Sooooo, the only thing I've left to do is pull them up. When I do that I spray 10% vinegar in the hole. (Don't get it on the surrounding grass) Seems to help for a while. Another thing I do is mow frequently and chop their ugly little heads off!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:31 pm 

I don't have an organic solution to grassy weeds other than pulling them. Poa annua, the grass with the white flowers at the tips, is a royal pain. It dies out in the heat but not before dropping tons of seed for next season. Then it seems like they sprout with the first rain. Ugh!