It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: WHICH to do first?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:57 am 

Hello. I am now ready to physically go organic. There are various items I plan on doing but wanted some advice on which order they should be done, if it would be more beneficial one way or the other. Other suggestions are definitely welcome. My lawn is just a year old -- sod was put down -- so it hasn't had a lot of chemicals applied to it. It is bermuda grass in clay soil and full sun. The following are items I have in my possession or things I plan on doing:

apply compost
beneficial nematodes (solid form)
microbial lawn treatment
dry humates
greensand
alfalfa pellets, cottonseed meal, corn meal and dry molasses
Garrett Juice/foliar spray

Thanks for any suggestions.

Post subject: Another question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:08 am 

Another question (probably stupid). Would there be any problem with applying dry humates and dry molasses and then watering that in with a microbial lawn treatment application? It would seem that it would not matter but wanted to make sure there wasn't some "reaction" by doing it that way or that it would be less beneficial.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:40 pm 

Justin,

:idea: First off I would:

1. Just because you have clay soil, give it a good aeration to help break it up.

2. Apply Lava Sand, humates or completed compost and pelletized gypsum at 40 lbs per thousand sq ft of each, cornmeal and greensand at 20 lbs per 1000 sq ft and 5 lbs of bonemeal. Mix it all in a wheel barrow and apply as evenly as possible after the lawn has been aerated.

3. You can water it in with the Garret Juice and Microbial liquid you have. Not a problem.

You should be able to put down the other dry ingrediants you have anytime along here. That way a diverse population of soil microbes will have food to grow on. :D

:arrow: A tonic I have used on my Bermuda that it sure likes is this:
One regular Beer, One Cup each of Horticultural Molasses, Liquid Seaweed and Liquid Soap (no anti-biotic or degreasers), one tbsp of Fish Fertilizer and Apple Cider Vinegar. In a 20 Gallon Sprayer, I use the Ortho Dial-a-Sprayer set at 1.5 oz.[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:03 am 

Thanks, Scott.

Post subject: Tonic on Bermuda
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:47 am 

Scott-
Such an interesting mix for the grass-but you drink the beer while spraying, right? :~)
Plano Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:13 am 

im diggin that "drink the beer" while working in the yard deal! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:32 pm 

Nah, not the type of beer that I buy for the yard, it is the cheap stuff. I have a good one if I am going to and that is usually with a steak or some good mexican food after the yard work is done.... :D

Post subject: Tonic for grass-
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:19 am 

As lng as we're talking tonics...I probably did something wrong...we have a beautiful cedar elm on acreage that last year looked near death. Full of vines which we removed, then saw a lot of borer holes all the way up the trunk. Bought Howards 'goop' but would have had to paint the entire trunk so we've waited on that. We did the sick tree treatment. We carry H2O to the tree if it hasn't rained in a while. Had a gallon of compost tea-'iced tea strength'-so watered the tree w/it last weekend. Now I'm looking thru all my info on compost tea & NOWHERE does it say to water a tree w/it!! Of course my husband thinks the tree looks worse-leaves not green enuf, etc. I would think w/all the rain maybe the tea got diluted & all's well?????
Plano Patty :(

Post subject: Tonic for grass-
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:19 am 

As lng as we're talking tonics...I probably did something wrong...we have a beautiful cedar elm on acreage that last year looked near death. Full of vines which we removed, then saw a lot of borer holes all the way up the trunk. Bought Howards 'goop' but would have had to paint the entire trunk so we've waited on that. We did the sick tree treatment. We carry H2O to the tree if it hasn't rained in a while. Had a gallon of compost tea-'iced tea strength'-so watered the tree w/it last weekend. Now I'm looking thru all my info on compost tea & NOWHERE does it say to water a tree w/it!! Of course my husband thinks the tree looks worse-leaves not green enuf, etc. I would think w/all the rain maybe the tea got diluted & all's well?????
Plano Patty :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:43 pm 

At the Arlington Organic Show this year, Howard stated that the root crown needed to be exposed for the tree to be healthy. If the tree looks like it is a poll just stuck in the ground, then you may want to call an arborist that can help get the crown out and breething. Just a thought on it.

With the compost tea, I have always known to use it diluted. Does anyone else have an opion regarding this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:23 pm 

http://www.htv10.com/nature/020721/ch4/index.html#4-4

FYI -- This is the URL to the website where I got the recipe that adapted for my own use. There is other great info there too.

Post subject: Cedar Elm/compost tea
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:19 am 

I just saw your reply & thank you for replying. I have to assume the tree was 'planted' correctly since I think God did it...and there is a nice looking root flare showing. The compost tea I made was diluted a bit-looked like weak iced tea so I think it was ok. Plus the tree looks better than when we bought the land 2 yrs ago. Many of the trees were topped in an ice storm-it looks like this is what happened anyway. So then they were stressed & vines grew in them and borers or something did damage along w/inch worms. I'm also wondering if we should use HG's tree goop on what looks like old borer holes. We are frantically clearing the vines & using sick tree treatment. We really aren't Amish, just have nothing but lopers, hand saw & a little chain saw. I enjoy all your posts!
Plano Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:27 pm 

Patty,

If you have not posted this on the Trees form http://dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7 I would go ahead. I am more of a Lawn, Flowers and Ornamentals kinda guy. I am sure there is someone to assist you with the tree issue more there.