It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

What is your favorite fertilizer to use and how often?
A ready to use balanced fertilizer - 2x a year. 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
A ready to use balanced fertilizer - 3x a year. 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
I make my own from dry ingredients - 2x a year. 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
I make my own from dry ingredients - 3x a year. 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
I don't fertilize at all. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:13 pm 

Just curious to see what the masses use and how out there. Please lend your opinion to the poll.

Addendum: When voting, the ready to use balanced fertilizer would be something along the lines of Bioform Dry, Sustane, Gardenville ferts, Texas Tee or other organic fertilizers that are prepackaged and ready to go.

Last edited by Scott-in-Texas on Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:56 am 

Scott - your survey is interesting and I look foward to seeing the results, but it is flawed in its current condition.

Organic gardeners will be confused about what you mean. The terms "balanced" and "complete" are messy. Most people say that a complete fertilizer is one that contains N,P and K. Most say that a balanced fertilizer has equal amounts of N-P-K i.e 20-20-20. Some disagree saying any fertilizer that provides what the plant needs is a balanced fertilizer. What's important to understand is these terms are referring to synthetic, non-organic fertilizers. Organic gardeners don't use these terms.

Synthetic fertilizers are rarely, if ever, balanced because they don't contain organic matter, carbon and a thorough blend of trace minerals. Without carbon, fertilizers have no energy. Natural organic fertilizers are the true "balanced" fertilizers.

Put some options in your survey for different kinds of organic and synthetic fertilizers and then you'll get some useful information for all of us. Using the chemical approach terminology doesn't work with this group.