It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:35 pm 

Do most of you use the gallon pump sprayers or another method? My lawn is an acre. Seems like the pump sprayer would take forever. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:24 pm 

We have 2 acres for a soccer field. We bought a 15 gallon trailer for about $135 from Tractor Supply. It was a great purchase. We've done 3 applications of compost tea and I cannot imagine getting it on the field manually. I know that that is a fair amount of $$, but for what you get, it is really worthwhile.

-John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:46 pm 

John, thanks for the reply. I do have a lawn tractor so this sounds much easier. How much compost tea do you spread on your 2 acres and how often? Have you noticed a difference since you started? This sounds much easier than top dressing with compost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:25 pm 

I put together a brewer in a 55 gallon drum so that we could make 40 gallons at a time. The recommendations I have received is to add about 20/gal per acre for the first application and then about 5 gal/acre after that. I expanded on the directions at:

http://dchall.home.texas.net/organic/teamaker/

by having 4 aerators ($10 each at Walmart) with 4 long stones at the bottom and then 2 small stones in each of 4 gallon paint strainer bags I got from Home Depot for $1 each. Otherwise I followed the instructions above for ingredients/length of brewing, etc. We just put it out so it is too early to tell what effect it will have. We'll see! We made it more than once because the first time our pipe to the pond was broken so we had to use tap water and that did not work well. If you have to use tap water, it should be aerated for 24 hours before you start making the tea.

A 55 gallon drum may be more than you want to handle, but you could get a 10 gallon container and double the instructions above and do half of your yard one week and the other the next. I don't think that these things need to be exact.

Hope this helps!

-John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:49 pm 

Do an Internet search on syphonject and see if that will work for you. It used to be called syphonex.