It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Disappointed?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:34 pm 

No, disgusted is a better description of my feeling about my yard this season. :x

I have the worst crop of weeds (and widest variety) that I have ever had. I am pretty realistic in my allowance of weeds in an lawn kept by organic means/methods. But, this is ridiculous.

My turf seems extremely thin. And, I have quite a number of areas of St. Augustine that does not appear to be coming back.

The wild onion/garlic crop is flourishing again, thumbing its nose at repeated and varying methods/efforts to eliminate it.

The good news is the Indian Hawthorne are in beautiful bloom and I found a smallish Garter snake while turning the compost pile, which is the one component which just keeps on keepin' on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:01 pm 

Don't feel bad. I also have the worst patch of weeds since I have lived here. Looks like my bermuda decided to not come back. Maybe if the wind stops and we get some rain are lawns will get to looking better. I am tempted to till my front yard and start over with better grass seed. The only place my yard is green is around the trees that I water. Keep your fingers crossed that we will get some rain tonight, I have cracks in my yard that are up to 1 inch wide and deep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:35 pm 

I think we are in of one of the worst weed years in some time due to the uncommon rainfall we have seen. I have more weeds this year than before as well; however it was easily managed by pulling. In this third year of my program, the Bermuda was coming back in February. It is very lush and green now. Looking like the fringe of a well kept golf course.

So, just stick it out, it will all get better, and, as we all should know by now with organics, it all takes time, like weeks and months, not days. Keep your chins up and out of the chemical aisles. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:44 pm 

No chemicals here, strickly organic. I don't mind a few weeds as long as there is more grass then weeds. I think once the weather warms up and it starts to rain, the grass will take over. We have had a cool spring without a lot of rain. When it rains it pours, not a slow soaking rain. Maybe tonight we will get some of that wet stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:21 pm 

[quote="Scott-in-Texas"]...So, just stick it out, it will all get better, and, as we all should know by now with organics, it all takes time, like weeks and months, not days. [quote]

You see Scott, therein lies the problem. This is a property with a decade + long period of organic care. Hundreds of $ worth of organic ammendments. Add in mechanical (core) aeration and countless hours of hand weeding. IF an organic program were the magic as it so often proclaimed then my property should be on some magazine cover.

What we (people on this forum) all believe (and preach to others) is that if you develop healthy soil, you will grow a healthy turf. This healthy turf is supposedly more disease resistant and it's dense nature should edge out any invading weeds. I for one have always tempered this sermon with the disclaimer that you should expect a certain amount of weeds with an organic program. I think that I will shout this disclaimer with a bit more fervor for those considering the switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:22 pm 

MC, Yes, we should all expect weeds to some degree. I am sure I will never see a day that my landscape is completely weed free. I wouldn’t want that anyway, I like to go out and work in the yard, it is relaxing to me. And, I don't think that organics is a magic pill for your lawn. If it were, getting everyone to switch and stick with it would be a breeze, wouldn't you agree?

Gar, I knew you were not venturing to that aisle, just wanted to make sure anyone reading didn't lose their belief and wander to the "Dark Side". :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:47 pm 

Hey Scott, we're past the point of no return. We can't return to the 'dark side'. It's just not an option. So on we go converting the non believers, to our healthier, for us and the environment, side, we call Organics. As was stated, on this forum a while back 'organics is not a race, but rather an adventure'. And a great adventure it is. I, like you, would rather be outside digging in the dirt, planting trees, flowers, or what ever, then spending the time in the house sitting in front of the TV as a couch potato.

Post subject: disappointed
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:55 am 

Thought I was the only one with this problem this year!! My beautiful St. Augustine lawn looks awful. So many weeds.....areas where St. Augustine has not come back at all. Totally organic...so, have been hand pulling the big, thick clumps since late February. I was starting to think I had some weed seed in my corn gluten meal put out last fall & this spring!
Our lawn was a thick carpet of St. Augustine with very few weeds last year, so hope will come back. Meanwhile, trying to keep mowed & tidy..at least it is green!!
Lelani

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:56 am 

Mr Clean and Lelani, what are your watering practices?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:47 pm 

Lelani,

Were the big clumps Poa or Anual Rye Grass? Did it grow in a clump and have whiteish seeds on it and grows very rapidly?

If so, it came out much earlier this year than in the past.

Keep on pulling and you will get it under control if it is Poa. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:31 pm 

My watering "practice" is to water only when the turf shows distress. I don't believe in adhering to a set schedule of days/weeks/months. I then water long and deep. With the amount of rain combined with the mild temperatures we have experienced over the last 12 (or more) months, I don't recall the last occasion which required a mechanical watering intervention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:47 pm 

Mr Clean,
It sounds like you have exactly the proper watering practice (once we get it right we can stop calling it a practice!!). Barring disease and insects, the only reason St Aug gets thin is from getting too dry. I'm going to suggest that you reevaluate your definition of when the grass is showing signs of stress. It sounds like the grass is dying one plant at a time during the dry periods. I tried doing what you're now doing where the St Augustine was encroaching into my unpaved driveway behind the house (southern exposure). It is now almost 100% bermuda where 3 years ago it was almost 100% St Aug. What happened was I let the St Aug get too dry between waterings and the bermuda found a niche. I was waiting until the St Aug looked just a little dry and folded the leaves together. I know now that I waited way too long. If you are going to make a mistake watering St Aug, you need to make it toward the overwatering side, not the underwatering side. Once your soil becomes very hard (several days after watering), you need to watch carefully for the VERY first sign, anywhere in the yard, of drying out. Then water.

Post subject: Disappointed
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:52 am 

My watering schedule pretty much the same...water deeply once a week in warm months if no rain. This takes care of all trees, lawn ornamentals, etc. However, last fall we had large areas of yellow/brown patches in St. Augustine..this was after we applied our fall corn gluten meal...looked like a fungus. St. Augustine did NOT come back in this area this spring...but Bermuda and weeds did!! I use Sustane fertilizer in spring, & fall along with corn gluten meal for "stickers" (our lawn was full when moved there 4 years ago...now very few with organics only). Also use Garret Juice on lawn throughout season.
Last week I scattered some Texas greensand on lawn too. Lawn faces south with lots of sun.
The "clumpy" weeds are some I have never seen before..very large, with thick leaves that stick straight up. No flowers or seeds..just green weed. I am still pulling up..everyday, but making some progress.
Looks like this problem common this year??

Lelani :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:36 pm 

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
It sounds like you have exactly the proper watering practice (once we get it right we can stop calling it a practice!!).

Congratulations...you got that part correct. :lol:

...the only reason St Aug gets thin is from getting too dry.

In your haste to dispense your advice, you appear to make an incorrect assumption, that is my lawn is a mono-culture of St. Augsutine. Not the case as I have a mixture of Bermuda, St. Augustine, and Tall Fescue and the noted mixture of various weeds.

I'm going to suggest that you reevaluate your definition of when the grass is showing signs of stress.

Another wrong assumption on your part. That being that I am not competent enough to "read" my turf which at this location has been under my (total organic) management for better than a decade. The Tall Fescue, which in my experience, is far more sensitive to lack of moisture and of course heat has suffered no ill effects.

Post subject: Disappointed
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:54 pm 

Since last post, I have tried to find a reason for the ugly mess my lawn is in this spring. Lately have noticed not only weeds all over, but bermuda growing like crazy where only st. augustine last year. Our entire front lawn was really a beautiful, thick capet of st. augustine this time last year. Now you can hardly see the st. augustine for the weeds & bermuda.
This really seems very unusual. I also noticed spots close to our house, where I did not spread any corn gluten meal or fertilizer still only healthy st. augustine!! And when we walk on the lawn, even after all our rain this week, it feels dry and "crackly" under foot.
Could it be possible for some grass/weed seed to get into batches of corn gluten meal and/or fertilizer?? It sure looks like I seeded with something!!
Maybe just a wild thought, but so frustrated.
Thanks for listening,
Lelani