It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:31 pm 

I am needing some advice on what type of grass to grow. I live in Abilene. I don't care much for Bermuda because of tendencies to grow in places where I don't want it to (flower beds). My husband is a fix it fast kinda guy and won't hesitate using toxic chemicals to kill weeds or unwanted grass. I, on the other hand have been trying for years to keep chemicals out of the yard. He would love to have a lawn that is nice, green, great for the kids to play on, etc. I want a lawn that will stay put and will stay out of my beds. Any sage advice? (Oh, by the way, I am winning the chemical vs. oragainc battle.) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:40 pm 

Good for you. That's a good battle to win!!

St Augustine is a good choice, but it is a creeper and will have to be kept out of the beds, too. At least when you pull St Aug it will not resprout from the roots.

Post subject: Grass
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:20 am 

St Augustine takes more water than bermuda, and I'm told buffalo grass takes less that bermuda. That must be a consideration in Abilene.

I read where TX Tech has come out with a new "turfalo" (I think it was) grass, but I don't believe it's on the market yet.

Pat Akin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:53 am 

I've seen Turfalo advertised on billboards up in the Lubbock area. That's all I know about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:22 pm 

I saw a Turfalo stand at Four Seasons in Denton, and because I happened to notice the discussions here about it, I knew what it was. It seemed pretty dense, but what folks here have said about it: specifically that the seed heads are throughout the grass, not just at the tops. Seems like it'd make a somewhat course grass....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:04 am 

Thanks for reviving this thread. I've been working north of Lubbock and got to see two Turffalo lawns in action. One lawn was mowed at 3/4 inch high and looked surprisingly great. One thing they always say about buffalo is it can be left to grow tall and looks good so I was really surprised to see it mowed so low. The other lawn was mowed at about 1.5 inches high and it looked equally good. Anyone who's read about my previous experience with buffalo lawns will realize that for me to like this stuff it must be vastly improved over previous buffalo varieties. I also saw it for sale in a nursery. It was about 4 inches high and was very dark green, unlike other buffalo varieties. All in all I was favorably impressed.

Both lawns had some commonalities. Neither lawn looked good in the shade and both had straw colored seed heads (about 1/4 inch long). The seed heads grow on a stalk that does not seem to grow any faster than the grass itself, but the head itself is not green. The other thing I noticed was that I was itchy after touching it. Apparently this is still one more grass I'm allergic to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:35 pm 

Wow! I'm glad I checked the forum. Thanks for the advice everyone. I've been working on "the lawn" and it starting to perk up. I did a treatment of CGM and DM and was amazed at how quickly it did the trick! A week later I aerated and now I just water deeply. :shock: I am just utterly amazed! LOL

Patri