It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:32 pm 

We are wanting to throw out some bermuda seed in our yard that was hydromulched a few years ago. Some areas just didn't do so well and we seem to have a lot of weeds here now too. This yard has always been maintained organically. Do we need to scalp the yard? Is there any type of Bermuda to steer clear of, or is Bermuda basically just Bermuda? Since we are on an acre we really don't want to waste money buying something that does not do well in N. Fort Worth. Thanks for any help you can give us. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:33 pm 

There are several kinds of bermuda so it's good you asked. Unfortunately I'm not an expert on the different kinds of grasses. Is there a garden center up there where you can go to see the different types?

Scalping will help the germination rate. So will rolling the seed down. You will also have to start watering differently to get the grass seed to germinate. You will have to water twice a day, early morning and early evening, to get the seed to germinate. Once it sprouts you can start to back off on the watering and start watering more deeply every time. For bermuda I would wait until later in the month to start. It is really a hot weather grass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:29 pm 

Thank you so much. It is a little intimidating looking at all the varieties of bermuda seed. I appreciate your help! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:47 am 

I am also in the process of putting out bermuda seed in my lawn. I did some research on the various seeds of bermuda cultivars available before making my choice. I selected Princess 77 seed, primarily because the bermuda of this type has similar characteristics as the Tiff 419 sod based grass. I will be mixing my neew seeds with the common bermuda that I've in my yard now - so I may end up with various shades of green once the Proncess 77 germinates. The only drawback with Princess 77 is that it is more expensive than the other cultivars that are commercially available (Numex Sahara, Arizona, etc.). I found Lowe's to have the cheapest prices for Princess 77 seed. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:13 pm 

You would think bermuda is bermuda but evidently not. Do I need to scalp the lawn or anything or just distribute the seed after a lawn cutting? I half considered having it hydromulched again. (It was originally hydromulched and looked great for about 2 years). One of our biggest problems is wild aster weed that is not only rough to walk on but is also darker than the bermuda so it is very obvious that it is there. Thank you for your help!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:04 am 

I would scalp it.

If you have found a hydromulcher you like, stick with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:34 am 

I have heard the word 'scalping' a few times. What exactly does it mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:41 am 

Scalping means to mow at the lowest setting your mower has. You might consider renting a mower if you think you will be hitting rocks or roots. When you scalp the grass down, you expose the soil and seed to the sunlight. Nature hates bare spots and tries to sprout the seeds exposed to the sun.

If you have already been mowing your bermuda at the lowest setting on the mower, it makes it hard to scalp. You might try slit seeding - I'm not sure how that would work slicing the stolons and rhizomes already there.