It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:57 am 

I have a mixture of St. Augustine and Fescue in my yard--Lawn has been "weak" and there are many bare areas because of heavy shade. But we just removed a large problem tree (fruitless mulberry) so lack of sun will not be an issue anymore. We are planning to re-sod the bare areas (and possibly the whole thing) with St. Augustine. I would like to get the fescue out! IT just doesn't look good--always growing taller than the other grasses, patchy, etc. How do I prep the area for new sod--and how to get the fescue out--pull it, rototill it, what? Would appreciate any suggestions on how to get a nice, uniform, St. Augustine look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:41 am 

If you water deep and infrequently, and set your mower to the highest position permanently, the St Augustine will choke out all the weeds in the yard. You can help it along by pulling the fescue out right after the next big rain. Grab as big a handful as you can and you'll probably get all the surface roots. After that the St Aug should take over easily without sodding.

I water for 3 hours per zone all at once. My zones overlap by about 50% so I get a lot of water down. In the heat of summer I usually can go a full week between watering. My soil varies in depth from 1 inch to 18 inches in the front yard before you hit limesone bedrock.