It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: stinging weed control
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:59 pm 

We have a problem, About 4 years ago vacant lots adjoining our property were cut. The crew that Bushhogged the land brought in a stinging weed. Last year we sent photos and samples to BRIT for identification and suggestions. the plant is Euphorbiaceae Spurge Family, specifically Tragia or Noseburn. We have been organic since building here 9 years ago and the property, on the North end of Lewisville Lake, I am sure was organic by neglect before the subdivision was created.
We are losing the battle pulling the sprouts and spraying with vinegar. This year it already spreading faster than we can keep up. Aproximately 4 acreas are involved.
I am considering having the area tilled and raked to get it out. Will this work or help? any thoughts? maybe even burned? the adjoining lot is totally covered and I am not sure anything I do can keep it from coming back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:24 pm 

Is this a neighborhood or rural setting? I believe the noseburn is an edible plant for goats but that isn't always a solution. It sounds like noseburn is fairly aggressive, but I wonder if it would suffer from competition from other plants? Have you tried mowing it regularly to take it down?

Post subject: noseburn spurge
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:31 am 

I live in a residential area of 1 acre minimum, may lots are over 1-1/2 acres. I mow regularly during growing season, Have fertilised with molassas and humate. the areas away from the house are basically native and have been overseeded with a mix of native grassed that have done pretty well. I worry that the Noseburn is being spread as I mow.
I continue to use vinegar and hand remove large areas before mowing but it is still spreading.
Thanks for any other thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:36 pm 

Just for the record neither molasses nor humate are fertilizer. I don't see a need for either one but I know Howard loves to talk about them.

So is the noseburn invading your lawn or are you just afraid it will? I don't understand where it is.