It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:30 am 

I have a few bare spots in my centepede lawn and I would like to put a good fertilizer on it to help fill in these bare spots. What is the best combination of Nitrogen/phosphorous/potassium fertilizer to use to help with this issue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:01 am 

I wouldn't worry about the NPK is on organic fertilizers. NPK is only important if you're using chemical fertilizers. With an organic program we focus on improving the health of the soil microbes by feeding them with food. My favorite soil food is ordinary corn meal. My second favorite is alfalfa pellets. You can use any ground up grain, nut, or bean that you can get inexpensively at your local feed store. Even dry dog food has most of the good stuff found in orgainc fertilizer.

The starting point for application is 10-20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. If you use corn meal you can double that amount if you want to. If you use soy bean meal you should probably not double it but stick more to those rates. Even 20 pounds per 1,000 is a lot of soy.

When you use organic fertilizers you should give them three full weeks to show some improvement.

Do you know what caused the bare spots in your lawn?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:13 pm 

The only thing I can think of is previous owner neglect. The few patches I have are a little rocky so I tried to put compost on it and then the fertilizer. This helped out a bunch, but there are still some small spots that seem to take longer to fill in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:26 am 

This year I have started putting down used coffee grounds from Starbucks about every other week. I apply one of the silver bags that they give out at each application. This has significantly improved my lawn, the only problem is that I now have to mow every 3 or 4 days. I had one area that was pretty thin this Spring due to a bunch grass that was pretty prevailant. This area has filled in well.

Post subject: Molasses
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:29 am 

Don't forget the molasses. It fires up the microbe population and gets the soil loosened and nutrients available so the turf will fill in more quickly. Makes all the difference in the world when you are trying to kick-start recovery. Liquid or dry, makes no difference. It's all good. :lol:

Kathe