It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:39 pm 

I was wondering if crushed lump will work on detoxifying my lawn since I cant find Safe Gro here in Houston? Is there a big difference between coal carbon and charcoal carbon? The lump is freshly burned wood and the lignite is compressed and obviously older--does this make a difference? Thank you for any information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:18 pm 

If you are talking about Kingsford charcoal briquettes, then no. Those are treated with something, according to Kingsford. I suspect they treat them with something to help them burn.

I've seen the rig that Jack Daniel's uses to make activated charcoal for their whiskey. They build an open rack of wood by alternating the direction of each course as they build. The rack is maybe 10 feet cubic. Then then set fire to the rack and have a guy there standing by with a water hose. He sprays the rack as it burns to control the temperature. I'm not sure what his objectives are beyond that but he seems to know very well what he's doing. The end result is tiny pieces of burned wood that they drip their whole grain alcohol through to smooth out the drink.

I found activated charcoal by Schultz at Lowes. Look in the area where the outdoor ponds are. Or look where all the other bags of Schultz amendments and fertilizers are.

What makes you think your lawn is toxic? I'm not sure anyone can afford to buy enough activated charcoal for an entire lawn. There are other alternatives.