It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My yard has sunk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:28 am 

We have just built our new home on 2 acres of property. Our backyard was on a slope to a small lake. We had 100+ truck loads of dirt brought in and had to form an upper back yard with a retaining wall. There are steps leading from the upper backyard to the lower backyard. The retaining wall is 5 1/2 feet tall, so there is fill dirt in the upper yard at the retaining wall 5 1/2 feet thick. We then had sod placed on the upper yard only (for pets). The steps leading to the lower yard divide the upper yard. Each side of the upper yard is approximately 45' x 25'. The area close to the retaining wall has sunk due to settling. In some areas as much as 10". It does very.

We could either have the landscaper pull the sod back and add enough dirt to level up the yard or we could cover the low areas with dirt and put new sod right on top of the old sod in the extreme low areas.

Please advise me on the best method for this job. The landscape company may suggest the most costly method instead of the best method.
The yard had quite a few dips throughout and we would like this upper area to look nice since that is what we see out of our back windows.

Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

didell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:19 pm 

The landscaper should fix it for free. It's his mistake, not yours.