It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:33 am 

I live in SE Arkansas and it'll be approx Apr 1 before I am able to get an application of CGM on my grass. Is this too late for keeping the weeds from germinating?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:42 pm 

For those people living where forsythia bloom, the apparent time to apply CGM is when the forsythia are blooming. I don't have forsythia and have not determined a good time where I live. However, I wholeheartedly agree that finding a time "in nature's time zone" is the way to do things like this. It could very well be that forsythia bloom and weed seed germination happen at the same time. Off hand I'd say April 1 is a little late, but it will make an incredible fertilizer for you.

I have always said the best time to apply beneficial nematodes to control pests in your lawn is when the June bugs congregate around your porch lights. Well, that is good in general but if you are in the middle of a drought, the nematodes will likely die before they find hosts. The soil needs to be wet for them to survive. At the same time, it could be that June bugs cannot lay their eggs in the soil if it is too dry. Don't know. Sometimes there is more to it than what appears more obvious.