It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dandelions
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:37 pm 

I have a yard full of dandelions and am working on pulling them up. If the tap root isn't completely removed will the plant grow back from the root?

Post subject: Re: Dandelions
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:06 pm 

yup.

I zapped all the dandelions my next door neighbor is growing this weekend before they could seed. I used vinegar CAREFULLY so as not to burn surrounding grass (vineger is non selective). When you use vinegar, the above ground portion burns up but the plant comes back from the root. I've found (non scientific theory follows) that they come back smaller and easier to pull. I am guessing that big tap root expends a bunch of energy and size resprouting the plant - seems reasonable that they'd be easier to pull since the root isn't as big in the hole.

Also, if you have Bermuda, mow very low this time of year as that will make your bermuda much much more dense and will choke out most of the broadleafed stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:31 pm 

I love dandelion. I think it's time we change the way we look at dandelion. Shame on the chemical industry for teaching us from an early age that dandelions are evil. I have dedicated a flower bed to them. This bed gets more butterfly activity than any other.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:37 am 

I had a few dandelions several years ago. They disappeared when I let the St Augustine grow in tall. The grass pushed the dandelion leaves up so they formed sort of a clam shell around the flowers. Then they were gone.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:03 pm 

Dandelion greens are really good in a salad,I've seen them sell for about$3 a bunch at Whole Foods.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:00 am 

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
I had a few dandelions several years ago. They disappeared when I let the St Augustine grow in tall. The grass pushed the dandelion leaves up so they formed sort of a clam shell around the flowers. Then they were gone.

Same here. When I do find them they are dinky and weak because the St Augustine has buried them.