It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:11 am 

I have a new lawn, sod laid by builder in
december. Will I be able to use corn gluten meal as a preemergent or even ferterlizer on new sod not yet established?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:25 pm 

Where are you, what kind of sod, and do you know what they did as far as preparation before putting it down, or any fertilization since?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:13 pm 

I am in north Texas, the sod is bermuda, prep did not include fertelizer just leveled and rolled, not even top soil. I have been applying water.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:17 pm 

Do you think you'll have much in the way of weeds that will require a pre-emergent? Bermuda is dormant this time of year so normally pre-emergent would be fine. I guess the question is, will this grass be too tender (vulnerable) if you put something down.

I think maybe giving Howard a call next weekend would be a idea for you, if one of the gurus of grass doesn't respond to this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:00 am 

Hi,

We put in a new yard last Spring. It is a form of Bermuda called Celebration Turf. I did alot of research on the care of a new lawn. I did have a website for this sod that gave excellent instructions. And I spoke to sod and nursery people.

A starter fertilizer was recommended to apply. Plus, I sprayed 'Thrive for Yards' over the whole yard....plants and all.

'No' to the pre-emergent or any type of weed control until after one full season.

Last year was my first year to be Organic. My goal was to improve my very hard soil. We did apply Organic Soil Amendments before the installation. After installing, we continued working on the soil. I can now easily stick a long neck screw driven into the ground. Before becoming Organic, the ground was 'rock' hard.

Good luck!
Char Harris,
Flower Mound, TX

Last edited by charris55 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:04 am 

http://www.sodsolutions.com/sod_starcelebration_bermudagrass.shtml

~Char

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:26 am 

Thanks for the info. I'm determined to be organic, hate chemicals. We have two bassets and I need to protect them too. I sorta thought I may need to pull weeds this year and know the first year will be getting a lawn in, not much else. We are designing a landscape using native plants needing low maintenance with what we hope will be a beautiful lawn backdrop. Thanks again, I'll go to the link you sent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:45 pm 

Thanks for the info. I'm determined to be organic, hate chemicals. We have two bassets and I need to protect them too. I sorta thought I may need to pull weeds this year and know the first year will be getting a lawn in, not much else. We are designing a landscape using native plants needing low maintenance with what we hope will be a beautiful lawn backdrop. Thanks again, I'll go to the link you sent

I totally agree! I have three dachshunds and they love to graze in our yard. I feel good knowing that the products I put down are not harmful to them. We also stopped our bug service. My husband has been using Orange Oil along the exterior of out house. I do have much spider activity in our yard, but they are not coming in the house.

I do have a few weeds that crop up here and there. I love working in the yard and pulling a few weeds is not a problem. CGM is the only treatment I do for weeds (pre-emergent). Many of my neighbors have a regular lawn service. I will just say that I am totally pleased (and rather proud) that we made the switch.

~Char

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:03 am 

I'm seeing weeds between the sod strips; looks like I'll have more of a problem than thought with a new yard. I do live across from a pasture however. CGM is also a ferterlizer as well as premergeant, you think I should not use it at all but get a gentle ferterlizer for this year?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:45 am 

I'm seeing weeds between the sod strips; looks like I'll have more of a problem than thought with a new yard. I do live across from a pasture however. CGM is also a ferterlizer as well as premergeant, you think I should not use it at all but get a gentle ferterlizer for this year?

Your sod has been down since December. Not quite 3 months.

A pre-emergent will not kill the weeds you are seeing now. It will kill the seeds of summer weeds.

I do not want to give you wrong info. I think the suggestion of getting in touch with Howard Garrett is a good one. Or 'Trop John'. He has given me help when I had questions about my new yard. You will find his name on the main Forum page.

And now other posters might step in with some suggestions.

One thought that has popped into my head. You mentioned that the weeds are popping up inbetween the sod. It sounds like the weeds are coming from your ground and not the sod. Which would go along with something that was told to me from the manager of my local Calloways Nursery. He said that most sod farms do treat the sod before it is cut.

Keeps us updated!

Good luck!
~Char