It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Identify weed
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:15 pm 

Hello All,

I recently moved into a new home in winter so the lawn & weeds were pretty much dormat. And for past month or two, weeds are starting to comeup real bad. I am fighting them in several of my own ways which includes puling them out and sometimes using chemicals etc. but I was introduced to dirtdoctor.com by a very knowledgeble staff at a local home retail store. So I am ready to control my lawn the organic way.
So here are two of the weeds that are invading my lawn now. The first one seems to be either a bermuda buttercup or a creeping woodsorrel (both clover family).
But it has waterproof leaves so anything I spray on them does not stick on the leaves.
Attachment:
File comment: Either a bermuda buttercup or a creeping woodsorrel (both clover family)
2013-04-02_16h09_01.jpg
2013-04-02_16h09_01.jpg [ 59.85 KiB | Viewed 15380 times ]

I do not know what the second one is.
Attachment:
File comment: second weed
2013-04-02_16h11_25.jpg
2013-04-02_16h11_25.jpg [ 161.17 KiB | Viewed 15379 times ]

Can someone please identify these and let me know how to control them. They are spreading fast and taking over my lawn. As far as I can tell, I have bermuda grass.

Post subject: Re: Identify weed
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:06 am 

The first one is a green oxalis. I can't tell anything about the 2nd image.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:14 am 

The second looks like a grass called poa annua. For the control of both you might want to try the selective organic herbicide Garden Weasel Crabgrass control.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:42 am 

Thanks for the replies. Second one does resemble poa annua but mine has very thin leaves. Not sure if that matters.

I checked Garden Weasel Crabgrass control here http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Weasel-AG- ... B0002ZKFRG and it says to wet the weed completely but I have noticed that the leaves of these weeds (clover leaves) are water proof. I mean the leaves do not get wet and hang as tiny droplets. So how will it work if the leaves do not get wet completely.
Also these are spreading all over very fast, is there an easier way or something else that be applied over a large area easily.

Also once these are deal, what should do for all the seeds these are producing and spreading? How to kill the seeds?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:29 am 

You'll have to try this a few times to get it right. You can make the water stick to the blades of grass by adding either soap, molasses, or both. The soap to use is any clear shampoo. Whether it takes a few drops or more is what you'll be experimenting with.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:16 am 

Thanks.

I have another question. Does this grass (poa annua or blue grass) dies on its own when the temperature rises and it becomes hot? Since the poa has spread so much now in my lawn, I am thinking if I should just wait and keep mowing the lawn to look clean and not allow lots of poa flowers to spread the seeds. And once the temp rises, they will die.

Then I will just prepare for next year by adding a pre emergent along with re-seeding bermuda and loosening up the soil this year.

Will this work?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:47 pm 

If poa annua were that easy to get rid of, there would be none around. The only method I know of to get rid of it is chemical. The chemical that works will kill most other grasses, including bermuda, so there is a lot of poa annua around. Mowing only forces the seed heads to come out sooner. It is a very resourceful plant.