It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:13 am 

We purchased thirteen acres near Sulphur Springs TX. A large portion of the pasture has been taken over by cactus. The previous owner couldn't care for the land in the past several to five years. We have mowed the cactus just below ground level several times but it just seems to keep spreading how can we rid ourselves of 5 acres of this? I went out to hand spade them and after 2 hours had about a 6 foot square area cleaned.

We work at creating a permaculture acreage and do not mind some cactus but this is way too much.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:48 am 

I've heard Howard describe how to do this on the radio program. I think it had to do with a device behind a tractor or pulling a chain around.

I would suggest that this is a good question to call into the radio program tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:40 pm 

Bwahahahahaha. Pulling a chain around is how you SPREAD cactus, not kill it. Every little piece of cactus that touches the ground will grow into a new plant.

The normal cactus we get is prickly pear. If you have a lot of it, you might be ahead to burn the spines off of it and allow the cattle to eat it down to the ground.

Or you could refrain from any care in that field at all. After a couple years of undergrowth, there will come the cochineal bug. It looks like white pieces of cotton. Once you have the cochineal, they will wipe out the prickly pear for you. But they must have some undergrowth (duff) to survive. If you smash the white fluff, you will have red stain on your hands.

Here is a picture of cochineal infesting a prickly pear.