It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dwarf Gardenias
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:58 pm 

Would dwarf gardenias do well in a mostly shady area in my front yard?

(Am researching plants to replace some Carissa Holies that are not doing well in this spot. So far, I have identified Indian Hawthorn...the Pinkie variety, and Holly Fern. The plants need to be low growing. Any and all suggestions are welcome!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:15 pm 

I planted dwarf gardenia's last spring in a shady bed along a wall. They seem to be doing well, although they did not flower much this spring. I assume that was the result of the minimal sun exposure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:36 pm 

They grow OK, but they do not thrive. No sun = no flowering and the leaves can sometimes yellow with not enough sun.

They need a good 1/3 day at least... morning-early-afternoon is best I have found.

Post subject: gardenia's
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:15 am 

Hey Bill, since you are the go to Gardenia Guy :wink: mine is two years old, about 5 ft. high, exploded with about two dozen blooms. They were replaced with about two more dozen buds ready for the grand opening when bada boom bada bing, they ALL fell off. (without opening) :cry: I have it planted on the north side, so it doesnt really get any hard core direct sun, but appearently enough for the first dozen blooms. got any suggestions :?:
Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:36 am 

Thanks.. but I'm really not a gardenia guy, just someone who has several dwarfs and I've done some reading, while moving them around my yard. :P

But what you are relating is exactly what happened to mine on the north side of my house. I had two in big pots, and the first year they were great. The second year, they only had a few flowers and a bunch of buds that never opened. All the while the ones on the east side of the house exploded with flowers -- they get sun from ~8am till ~11am right now.

So, all I can suggest is move them, or get them a sunlamp... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:06 am 

Thanks for all the experienced advice......I really appreciate it. Will try to find a better location with more sun. They really are lovely plants, so I hope to find a place for them.

Post subject: gardenia's
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:56 pm 

thanx Bill. I had plans of moving them this winter anyway because they were blocking a front window.
Lou