It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:24 pm 

I am a relatively new convert to organics, and am trying to convert my house plants over to the new materials. I have an English Ivy Topiary that until recently was being fed with Miracle Grow when I watered, was doing quite well - rich green leaves, lots of new growth, etc.

Now, that I've switched over to watering with a splash of vinegar (because I began to have gnats at which time I quit wateirng so often), sprayed the foliage with garrett juice diluted to the proper rate, and have it in the same location, many of the leaves keep falling off the main branch right where it connects to it. I've inspected the plant and cannot see any pests other than a little dust here and there on the leaves. I've washed the leaves, and the only thing I can think of is that the growth that was on the plant before I started doing organics, is not fairing too well without the steady diet of Miracle Grow, and are falling off. These leaves are both new and full grown leaves. Sometimes the ones that fall off are really green and healthy looking, while some just shrivel up and disintegrate. New green leaves are still sprouting out all along the branches and the bulk of the leaves on the plant look healthy and bright green and fresh.

So why all the constantly dropping leaves?

- Kate

Muggsybaby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 am 

Indoor ivy is very suseptible to spider mites. Also MAKE SURE you are letting it completely dry out before watering it again. How much light is it getting? Usually if you have gnats, it's staying way too moist.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:55 am 

I would not put vinegar in the water everytime you water. Feed it with an organic fertilizer, such as bioform, about once a month or mist is every couple of weeks with Garrett Juice.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan