It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Blackberry question
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:32 am 

I just planted 3 Kiowa blackberry bushes, in a full sun position, black and white soil, Parker county. I have some questions as to care of fruit bushes, as they are a new experience to me. Should I fertilize them now, or wait? Spray with Garrett juice? Spray with garlic pepper to ward of pests? Any thoughts appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:23 pm 

I planted five Apache thornless blackberry bushes in early March. Go to this Aggie website and you can learn a lot about Texas blackberries... http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/exte ... rries.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:10 pm 

In my exprience, you can't hardly kill a blackberry :) so I don't do anything at all to mine, and they produce well every year. I live in a low-lying area, with heavy dark clay, so it tends to be pretty fertile soil, but seriously, blackberries are tough plants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:15 pm 

The blackberries that grow wild are tough, yes. Not everyone has luck with transplanting different varieties. We have the dark clay, too, but I put ours in a raised bed with sandy topsoil and organic humus, just in case. They are thriving so far. I read on this site where someone gave theirs some vinegar and the roots loved it. I tried it, and really did see an improvement in these plants not long after I transplanted them. I have put a bit of molasses in the soil, too, because we have such a problem with fire ants and I don't want them in there. They would gravitate toward the moisture from watering the plants regularly. Molasses only helps the condition of the soil, anyway.

Post subject: blackberries question
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:12 pm 

What kind of solution of vinegar did you put to your blackberry roots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:40 pm 

Don I don't know about Kiowa, I have Brazos and Rosenborough (sp). The first year I just made sure that they had plenty of moisture. My chart shows to keep the NKP low so I used Manure Compost and Organic Humus. Pests have never been a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:29 am 

I used about a quarter-to-third cup of vinegar to a gallon of water. I don't ever measure exactly. And I have only added it to the soil twice since planting the beginning of March. You don't want to overdo it.