It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: pumpkin harvest time?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:59 pm 

We bought a pumpkin last fall for Halloween and threw it in the mulch pile after the holiday. Yeah, you guessed it: the pumpkin seeds all germinated and now my mulch pile is awash in vines and fairly large fruit. I have never grown these before. My question is: they are all turning a bright orance now and I'm wondering if that means they are ready to harvest or should I wait til fall. Some of the pumpkins are a foot across or bigger!
Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:28 am 

I believe it will keep growing until it freezes in November. If you want it to get really big, pile compost on the base of the plant and provide something for the pumpkin to lay on so it won't rot on wet ground. A piece of plywood should work. If you need or want to harvest it sooner just cut, use a very sharp knife, leaving some of the stem, then store in a dark, cool, dry place.

Post subject: HEY PUMPKIN!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:51 pm 

As far as the vine, yes it will grow until freeze so long as you water, etc. The pumpkins will get at least as large as the pumpkin from which they came, so if the seed source fruit was one that was a foot or so they're probably about at maturity. If it was bigger, you have a few weeks to go.

Plywood isn't your only option to protect the rind from rotting. Get a thick (meaning 3-6") mulch under there (straw is good) and that will do well too. Pumpkins are so fun to grow!

Kathe :D

Post subject: pumpkins
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:32 pm 

I have lots of vines and flowers, but no fruit on my pumkins. Bees have been around. Ideas? :?: