It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:50 pm 

We planted a Cedar Elm in our back yard this past January. It was planted in a combination of black gumbo and red sand. I have noticed a grey scale-like covering on the branches and now we have carpenter ants as well.

Should I use the Garret juice to solve this problem? What soil additives should I try to make the tree healthier?

thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:08 pm 

Cedar Elms seem to be getting more and more problems. They tend to get mildew, elm leaf beetles, mistletoe, and aphids. You could try the sick tree treatment. The carpenter ants are there because it is in stress. Taking them out with something like orange oil will only have temporary results, as more will come. Is there another tree you like that has less problems? Check out Howard Garrett's "Texas Trees" for reference to different trees and their characteristics. "Plants of the Metroplex" (also by HG) is a great source as well.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach