It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Help! wasps everywhere!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:01 pm 

We have been inundated with those wasps that borough in the ground. They are everywhere! I don't have compost tea ready so I can't make the concoction found on the website. Any other ideas??? Serious problem! I've never seen so many at one time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:35 pm 

What do they look like?

This time of year the huge black or brown and yellow cicada-killer wasps start hovering around and digging their nests in the dirt of my garden. When the den is finished some poor cicada will be captured and dragged to the hole and then the eggs will be laid with the living bug as a fresh source of food when they hatch.

They're big, and they'll buzz you, but I haven't found them to be particularly aggressive. On the bright side, it means you have a healthy yard and haven't killed them off with garden chemicals. You'll find plenty of discussion of them here in the forum. This is the library entry about the cicada killers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:43 pm 

I just wanted to give an update on the wasp infestation. As was mentioned in the last reply, the wasps that had dug up holes all over our yard and patio were pretty harmless. I left them alone and eventually they moved on. Not one sting out of them. Unfortunately they did not take their mounds when they left. Easy enough to clean up. I'm so glad we didn't panic and try and kill them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:52 pm 

My wasps were prolific last year, apparently, because even more came back this year. They have lots of straight down holes with no piles of dirt, and then lately they've started with the piles of dirt.

They are active in the morning and get quieter as the day progresses and gets hot. By evening I don't see them out flying around much at all, making that a good time to do any yard work on that part of the property.