It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Shrinking plants?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:02 pm 

I planted my watermelon plants and now some of them have slowly shriveled up? The plants have plenty of water. I pulled one of them up and found nothing on the roots. Can't see anything on the leaves. HELP ME !!! PLEASE

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:35 pm 

Your roots rotted away. Can you give us more info like type of soil, amount of water, any fertilizers, anything else used on the plants?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:36 pm 

Over watering is not the problem. I think it is a insect of some sort? any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:31 pm 

I agree with David; over-watering. We have had rain, it is fairly cool & a some soils retain water. If you let us know about the soil & elevation of it, you can get more help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:01 am 

I have a raised bed garden 15' X 30'. there is alot of clay in the soil. I have added alot of compost to the garden over the years. I have planted about 9 different vegetables in the garden this year. The only one haveing this problem is my watermelons. I will say that I planted some ground cover plants in my front yard last year and they did the same thing. Slowly one by one they just wilted away. like something was sucking the life out of them.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:02 am 

I have a raised bed garden 15' X 30'. there is alot of clay in the soil. I have added alot of compost to the garden over the years. I have planted about 9 different vegetables in the garden this year. The only one haveing this problem is my watermelons. I will say that I planted some ground cover plants in my front yard last year and they did the same thing. Slowly one by one they just wilted away. like something was sucking the life out of them.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:03 am 

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:03 am 

Do you have lots of pill bugs? They particularly like to munch on cucurbit seedlings. Also, watermelons grow best in sandy soil. My watermelon patch is separate from the rest of my garden because I have clay soil too. I dug out the soil in the melon patch and replaced it. Since I did this, I finally had success growing watermelons.