It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Termites are swarming...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:27 pm 

Ok...I have been organic for a year-and-a-half, and have put down three batches of Nematodes over that time, including a HUGE application this Spring. This morning, I watched as the termites were blown by the wind from across the street into my yard. On closer inspection, I see the little flying and flightless breeders/swarmers crawling around my house. This happened one other time this year and I fought back with DE dusted around the foundation, DE/Boric Acid in crevices and weep holes, and followed up with a spray of Citrus Oil, Natural Liquid Soap, and DE later that evening. I have done the first part of this today and will spray again this evening. Last time, they disappeared by the next day.

Questions for anyone who really knows...
1. Am I correct that there is not necessarily any infestation when the only termites present are swarmers/breeders without tubes (I know this is the swarm season, so I am not getting too anxious just yet)? They are still outside, not in the house.

2. I know these guys only live about a day, but lay eggs while they can. Will the Nematodes stand a good chance of deterring eggs from hatching and producing poulations? This is what I understand (Antidote 3N1 was used each time).

I'll take any comment you may offer. Thanks.

Dr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:18 pm 

To prevent termites, you need to make sure you do not have any leaks where water can get in and make the wood in your house wet. That is what attracts termites.
If you have a problem, or suspect you do, I suggest calling Rid-All. Tell them your concerns. If you make an appointment, please be sure to tell them you want to treat them in the most earth-friendly or earth-kind way.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach