It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Scorpion Contol?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:50 am 

I need some help in trying to control Scorpions. In the past two (2) weeks, my wife and I have killed at least six (6) inside our house and more outside.

I read the Texas Bug Book, it didn't provide a lot of suggestions.

I plan to put out DE but am wondering if there are other things I can do.

The Bug Book says they eat crickets and roaches, we don't have either inside. Do they eat spiders too?

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated, my parents are coming in from So. Cal for a visit and those scorpions will freak them out!!

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:55 am 

Well, were you hoping your parents wouldn't stay too long? :) Sorry, I couldn't resist. That's something my DH would put off until company left!!

I'm wondering if you have a nest of them since you've found so many. I would think the DE would get them but maybe some orange oil spray too?

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:41 pm 

Don't think we have a nest as each one has been pretty large.

Folded clothes the other night and one got in our bed, talk about a rude awakening!! OUCH!!

After that awakening, it is all out WAR against them, but I refuse to use chemicals, there has to be an organic answer.

I've looked at a couple of eco exempt sites but they seem do dodge around saying it works on scorpions, so I'm not sure that will work.

I looked around the bedrooms last night with a black light as I've heard that will make them glow. I didn't see any, but I can tell you I slept w/one eye open all night![/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:45 pm 

Does anyone know if they eat spiders?

It is that time of year in the country, I've left the spiders alone because i know they eat other insects, but if that is a food source, the spiders will end up under the shoe so to speak!

What ever it takes to get the scorpions out of the house!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:29 pm 

Try the post listed below. I would use the orange oil spray (at 1-2 oz per quart w/1 tsp of liquid soap; be careful about spraying on plastics at this strength (wipe off)) inside the house & the DE or orange oil spray around all openings. Check your entire house for any openings where they might be getting in.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=500

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:37 am 

I would also put sticky traps all around the walls, but hidden, and under all the beds near the bed posts. If you have bed linens that go to the ground they will be able to climb up. Exclusion is the best defence but once you have blocked all outside entrances you have to catch the boogers in your house.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:23 am 

I wouldn't think they eat spiders since they're of the same family.

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:08 pm 

I wouldn't think they eat spiders since they're of the same family.

Patty

What a lovely family :wink: . But it is probably possible they could fight each other. that will be an interesting to watch.

SCORION VS. SPIDER

Scorpions are probably better fighters than spiders, so I think scorpions can eat spiders and vice versa.

But I don't think spiders are the is the reason that scorpions are coming in the house.

Sharp-

You said you have seen them outdoors. Where have you seen them outdoors?

Do(did) you saw them at night or day or was porch light was on (I am thinking maybe they are attracted to light)

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:41 am 

I've seen them outside under objects where it was still moist from the rains we've had. Haven't seen them outside lately, but caught my first one in a sticky trap Sunday and there was a dead one (thank goodness) my Father picked up Saturday night in the kitchen.

He didn't know what it was so he picked it up, brought it over to where my wife and I were sitting and asked what's this? After we explained what it was, I don't think he will be picking things up anymore!

I bought EcoPCO WP, which is a wettable powder. I haven't used it yet, has anyone heard of this and is it safe to use around pets?