It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ants in my plants
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:50 pm 

my plants on the patio in pots have ants. what should I use to get rid of them? I've mixed some DE in the soil and put pecan mulch on top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:33 am 

Are they fire ants? Or ordinary ants?

Normally I leave ants alone if they aren't fire ants. (unless they bite me then I pour boiling water on 'em-can't do that in flower pots) If they are fire ants, there's a great control formula on the main page in 'library'. Probably is one under 'ants' too.

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:38 am 

Rule of thumb here is leave the normal ants alone and you will have far less incidence of fire ants and other pests. The more ground ants you have the less fire ants will establish. I've had maybe 6 fire ant mounds in the last 10 years, apply beneficial nematodes every spring, NEVER apply a general insecticide, have all kinds of natural ants all over my property and I really believe the natural competition from the native ants makes a huge difference. Plus, nobody gets stung!

Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:46 am 

If they are fire ants and you need to rid your pot of them, just be careful that the concoction you mix up isn't so strong you burn out the roots of your plant. Also, be sure to keep the solution off of your leaves or you'll burn them, as well.

You may also try lifting your plants up on some kind of a pedastal that has a dish of water under it. Yes, you'll have to change it out or replenish it regularly to avoid growing skeeters. But this is how I have to feed our barn cat, who eats on his own time. If the chickens don't get his feed, the fire ants were. So, I put down a tray, fill it with water and use a heavy bowl for his food.

I've heard of nursery operations doing this, legs of the tables in buckets of water trick to keep the fire ants out of their pots. Just remember to either put BTi dunks in or change it out often.

214-348-EDEN (3336)
Your Paradise Found

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:08 am 

Ants are very interesting creatures. They actually keep aphids as "pets", herding them and feeding off the honeydew that aphids leave behind. Sometimes the relationship between the plants and the ants is symbiotic. http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0021-8 ... nlargePage

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach