It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:38 am 

I've got a rather unusual scenario going on in my compost pile. A few months ago, in early spring, after being fairly diligent in turning the small (probably about half a cubic yard) pile, I'd noticed what appeared to be a fierce battle going on at the top of the pile between what looked like ants and termites. I should have looked more closely to confirm whether or not they were actually termites, but I let them have their fun, and then proceeded to turn the pile.

I haven't yet been too successful at getting my compost pile to "heat up" very well, and one symptom of this is that quite a few of the kitchen scrap seeds that I'd put in the pile started germinating shortly thereafter within the pile. I left the young plants alone, thinking it would be an interesting experiment to see what was growing, and if they would grow well and bear fruit. They did, and I found out that they were cantaloupes. At that point, I stopped turning the compost pile because I didn’t want to kill the young volunteer plants. As a result, the cantaloupe plants have now totally taken over the compost pile as well as a roughly 200 square foot area in the corner of my yard. (Gee, compost really does work pretty well!)

When I went to harvest a ripe melon this morning, it was a one that happened to be sitting right on top of the now completely hidden compost pile. I plucked it off the vine, and noticed some sort of insect larvae (apparently) digging into it from the point where it was sitting on the pile. There were several happy, hungry insects moving in and out through holes in the rind. I watched carefully to observe what they were, and I immediately suspected from their shape and size that they were young termites. I've looked at several pictures online since for confirmation, and I believe I was correct in my original assessment.

So with the hard suspicion that there is a termite colony living within my flourishing grove of volunteer cantaloupes, which have taken over my compost pile, I'm trying to figure out if there's an effective way to get rid of them (the termites, not the melons) without having to rip out all the melon plants as well, since all of the vines pretty much originate from the compost pile where the colony would be. I was looking forward to many more fruits ripening before shutting down the operation, but if I have to, I will.

Any creative ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:41 am 

How weird and wonderful all at the same time! You may try an application of the species of nematodes that have been found to be somewhat effective against termites. But you may have to act fast! I have several things growing out of the cold compost pile out back, where we chunk our horse barn cleanings, and it just amazes me sometimes. Last year, I had come out really early one morning and the most beautiful arrangement of datura flowers were there to greet me. And that was LAST year in the drought - never watered back there, I assure you. We just pile it up, let it sink down, and eventually spread it out over the general area of woods and prairie.

Keep us posted, this is pretty fascinating! I thought all termites had to be in the dark, covered over by a coating of wood - never new they'd eat cantalope rind?! :shock:

214-348-EDEN (3336)
Your Paradise Found