It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:33 pm 

This week, in my back yard, I have discovered about 10 holes about 2-1/2" diameter, concentrated within an 8 foot diameter patch. The yard is shaded with horseherb ground cover. I have never had moles nor voles before so I am not sure how to ID these clues. The excavation mounds are to one side of each hole. Can anyone confirm what my pest is by these clues. I am in Bedford. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:12 am 

Yesterday I made a closer inspection of the area. I dug up around a couple of holes. Nothing there, no chambers, no tunnel, nothing beyond 5 or 6 inches. I suspect the culprit was possibly a squirrel digging up its stash.
I am a little suprised at the depth of each hole. I have seen squirrels (and bluejays) bury the peanuts that I have fed them, but these holes are a little deeper than I would have expected. Perhaps the loose soil due to recent rains may be an explanation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:52 am 

Or maybe an armadillo??

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:14 pm 

Wow! I hope not. Thanks for the thought though.
Gß

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:59 pm 

To prevent armadillos and some other creatures from digging in an area. lay down some wire mesh. The 2 or 3 inch square type is fine for ground covers. Just make sure you get it completely anchored into the ground by bending the wires on the sides so they sink in real well. You might even want to take a long staple-like device and stick it around the perimeter of the mesh to keep it in place. It would not be fun to mow over it and SUPRISE :shock: you just ruined your mulching blade! :roll: I keep my mower on the highest setting. It has 5 positions to adjust the height, which is cool. I still consider getting a lift kit for it! :lol:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach