It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:07 pm 

My friend just emailed me.
She has WAY too many anoles, and they are taking over her house and everything else.
She wants to trap a lot of them and release them in another safe enviornment.
how does she trap them without hurting them?
She has a lot of ground cover they stay in, and a good fresh water source for them.
I suspect her neighbors may put down insecticides, and they come to her yard where it is safe.
Can someone tell me how she can set traps, and get just the little lizards, so she can release thm somewhere else?
Charlotte : :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:13 am 

Inside the house, we catch them in shoeboxes & take them outside.

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:11 pm 

She is about 80% disabled, so she isn't very fleet of foot, or able to bend etc.
So few of mine come in the house that I just leave them alone. they go their way, and go out the same way they come in.
If my grandchildren are here, they love to see one inside the house.
As long as they don't get on me I am fine.
I love em because they eat the aphids off my roses and keep my lawn and plants free of critters I don't want, and I don't have to mess with chemicals, and my roses don't get damaged by the aphids.
It is just the little babies we ever see in the house.
She is wanting them removed from her property, and to relocate them to wqhere they will be in another safe enviornment. From what she says, she says many of them inside. She says they have overrun her house.
I am sure they are not as common as her emails sound.LOL
She did share with me that she has just recently bought that home, and it was vacant for a year.
I suspect when they get used to people being in the house, they will stay at least out of sight.
She says there is very thick ground cover all over, and especially up close to the house. I suggested she thin out the ground cover. There has been no spraying or any other kind of insecticide put down, and no chemicals at all. She doesn't allow chemicals used either, and they probably have a vast food supply, and when they thin out the insects, they will probably go elsewhere for better pickins.
Thank you very much for your speedy reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:18 am 

Being disabled, I bet they aren't nearly as much fun as they are for able-bodied people! I hope someone can assist her, I wouldn't want to be startled often if I were her.

Under the circumstances you described, I bet there were a bunch of insects in that house b/4 she moved in. I'm inclined to agree that when the supply decreases, so will the geikos. Maybe just knowing that they are helping will be enuf?

Patty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:34 am 

I told her I thought it was because they have a good food supply, but she insists she sees no insects.
Well, probably because she doesn't get up in the middle of the night.LOL
Insects do tend to hide.
A vacant house in North Texas, and no roaches, would be a miracle.
I use herb inside my house to keep insects out.
Once a month I put a small piece( about 1 in. long) of fresh rosemary under th beds, in closets, every drawer and shelf, and a slightly larger piece ( about 3 inches) under each appliance in the house. This keeps my house complately free of roaches, spiders, and silverfish.
I paint a line of cedar oil long the clothes poles in each closet and along the door frames and baseboprads in the closets, to keep moths out.
I do the fresh herbs every month, but I only do the cedr oil about twice a year.
Sweet basil and mint keeps fleas away, and lavender shoos away houseflies.
Since I have so much health problems that bring pain, I have not put out the fresh herbs in about 4 months, and I am seeing those large waterbugs that look like roaches. Sooo, I am seeing a little lizard every once in a while.
Since the little lizards hang around us when thy have insects to eat, and are not looking for companionship, I am betting when their fiood supply dwindles, they will be seen less and less.

While we are on the subject of house pests.
Those pesky litle fruit flies are whatever those little no-seeums are that come into my kitchen when hubby leaves to lid of the compost jug, will be gone faster than immediately if you spray with that orange oil spray Howard recommends for spraying the trees.
I use some to spray, and it does kill the ones it hits, and the others beat a beeline for outdoors.
I was going to wash my cabinet fronts one day, and thought I would try it just to see if orange oil is good as a cleaner, as claimed.
It is!!!
I made the solution with orange oil I buy online ( a pure orange oil, not the one we get at the organic nursery). I put about 1ounce oil to a Windex spray bottle of water, and sprayed the cabinet fronts, and wiped. They were instantly clean.
My cabinets are white, and they get drips. Some of the drips had been there foir about 3 days.
I recommend that for cleaning. You would repel insects at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:11 am 

Wow-I have a big rosemary bush! Not that I found out my DH doesn't like it on pork chops, potatoes, etc, :( I know what I'll do today! Great tip.
Not ever been afraid of bugs but we DO get the huge 'waterbugs' and I yell everytime one runs out at me.
HG says they're really roaches-people call 'em waterbugs to feel better. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:00 pm 

I wonder if the geckos finally cleared out?

I have them running around outside, not often inside (though there are plenty of cracks and chinks to enter, and I know they're up in the attic). We enjoy those little characters, and they're one more defense in the effort to keep bugs out of the house. It's kind of entertaining to be in the shower at night with the light on, and seeing them camped out waiting for bugs outside on the window. Every so often there is a territorial skirmish on the glass, then it's back to their normal posture of quiet watching for moths and other bugs.