It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:44 am 

Well, I have heard Howard talk about this problem quite often. I have cleared the trunks of the trees of grass, weeks, etc. Now I see that approx. half of the trees, 10 of 20, are soaking in 3" to 6" of water.!

How can I take care of this?

thanks, jalixs (Dona)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:32 pm 

Please supply more info. Is this a condition that is temporary due to the rain? Did you create it by exposing the flare and leaving a little moat around the tree. Have the trees been exposed to this situation before?
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:56 pm 

I have a young red oak and a sweet gum that required excavation in order to expose their root flares. The result is that each tree has a bit of a bowl surrounding and, like you're seeing with your trees, water will collect after/during a decent rain or heavy watering. I did both trees late last year and at first I too was worried. The standing water doesn't stick around for very long after the rain subsides and I suppose that's really the issue that's of most concern.

If the water is staying at the base of the trees for a prolonged period of time (I'm not sure how long is considered bad for a given tree) then I'd work on the surrounding soil by doing some heavy and deep aeration using something along the lines of a pitch fork in order to help with drainage. Follow that up with amendments aimed at improving/sustaining beneficial microbal activity of the soil and that will ultimately be your best course of action.

~Dave

Post subject: trees in water
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:51 am 

Thanks for the info. The pitchfork sounds like a great idea, especially after this heavy rainstorm. My soil is heavy clay and when dry difficult to penetrate/

Thanks again. jalixs

I have a new e-mail address: ald644@cs.com

Dona