It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:12 pm 

I missed the "cold weather" to prune my Live Oak. And honestly it didn't need pruning in the winter.
I've come home today to a Code Violation notice threatening me with dire things if I don't prune the Live Oak. The tree is planted in my yard, but it seems intent on taking over the neighborhood. Someone in my neighborhood has complained because they may have had to duck to walk under the tree. I'm 5'5" and don't have any problems.

Can I safely Prune it now? If not, are there any formal, recognized written documents I can take to the city to get an extension on my 7 day deadline?

Any advice will be most welcome.

compmom42

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:18 pm 

In a case like this I'd just prune the lower branches a bit as asked.

Done carefully, you can redirect the general limb growth without having to hack it off at the trunk in most cases.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:39 pm 

Thank you.
With the smaller branches do I need to worry about putting tree goop on each and every cut to protect against oak wilt? Oak wilt is in the area and my tree has red oaks near it. The red oaks appear healthy.

I've nursed this tree back to health twice (once from a rude neighbor's idea of pruning and once from weather)
and I'm just petrified of doing anything to shock it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:22 am 

Really tree trunk goop is for repairing damage/promoting healing in a known bad situation. Plus as far as I know oak wilt is pretty much spread from roots rather that above ground, except in the case of a few bugs.

You would probably be better off using the sick tree treatment to bolster its general health and only use goop if there's a bad cut or wound ie: you accdentally tear a limb and it leaves a bad gash.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:10 am 

Thank you for all your help.

I'll be spending the next few days trying to tame the tree to the "neighborhood's" standard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:55 am 

Best to keep neighbor relations friendly.
Remember, legally he could have it cut back flush to the property line and in some cities have you billed for the work, if they go to the extreme.