It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:18 am 

Hi! I am relatively new to organic gardening. I have two beautiful oak trees in my front yard ( red oak).. They are quite old. One in particular concerns me. Obviously went thru the Lancaster 95 tornado. You can see the damage. There are limbs from that part that keep dying back. I know dead limbs are normal, but these seem quite big and it seems to get worse every year. There are discolorations of green on the tree- like mold or something. There does not appear to be insects or pests on either of these trees. The second one had two big limbs with no leaves on them too although it has always been very healthy before. Additionally all three of my oak trees never quite drop their leaves in the winter , they just hang on and hang on.

I read the sick tree treatment and will have to go look at the root flares... since I can't remember how the bottom of my two trees look.

Should I apply anything to do this old damaged part or just start that program in general and see what happens. I would be heartbroken to lose either tree since it provides a lot of shade for us.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Gardening in Lancaster,

Michelle

Post subject: PROTECT THE TREES!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:39 pm 

Michelle,
Sorry no one has answered you until now. I just saw your post and wondered how your trees are doing? As you say you are new to organic gardening, I wondered if you'd been using weed & feed products in the years past? By now, you have probably learned that these types of products slowly kill your trees, causing them to evidence more and more symptoms as time goes on. They die slowly over years. Storm damage has the same effect sometimes, causing enough to sicken the tree and expose it to disease but not outright kill it quickly.

That said, I would ask if you applied the sick tree treatment? I have had great success with a very old ( 60+ years) Texas ash tree and a very sick (when I moved into my new home) pecan tree. Both were revived from years of weed & feed abuse, neglect and a variety of useless and damaging "treatments". Applications of molasses and cornmeal have helped to revive the life of the soil around them and allowed them to utilize the nutrition in the soil to rebuild their systems. Both were old enough that root flare wasn't a problem but I have lost other younger trees to this insidious killer. Compost in liquid tea or solid form at about 1/2" does a lot in a little time.

Good luck, I hope I'm in time to help and please let us know how your trees are faring. We can't afford to lose even one!

Kathe :D