It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sawtooth Oak Tree
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:17 pm 

The builder had a sawtooth oak planted in my front yard (2 years ago), and it has done quite well in spite of the people who planted it and the way it was planted (meaning too deep!). I've had an organic arborist out to look at the flares - he said no problem there (that was last year). I have excellent drainage, and I don't water the tree specifically - it gets watered when the yard gets watered, which is when it's needed, but no more than once a week. I do not have a sprinkler system, so I use the old fashioned method - the sprayer that goes from one side to another slowly so hopefully to soak the ground better. There are no bugs on the tree, and I haven't hit it with the mower or weed eater (I'm very careful about my trees). This past weekend I noticed brown tips on the majority of the leaves! I cannot imagine what has caused this. About a month ago I sprayed my trees and my flowers with Garrett Juice, but I've done that before. Any suggestions? I don't remember it going dormant this early before. Would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:12 pm 

Might just be the excessive heat we've had. Unless it gets a lot worse I'd not worry much.

How big a tree was it when planted? Lil' fella from a 1 or 5 gallon pot or a big 'ol thing?

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:51 am 

The tree planted was a big ol' thang! It's about 10-12 feet tall & about 1 1/2- 2" round trunk. Kind of weird shaped, but I learned to love it (that's a "mother" thing). Anyway, the leaves don't seem to have any more brown on it than when I first wrote. Hasn't really lost any leaves. I personally don't think the flares are showing enough (but then who am I to argue with an organic arborist - from Natural Tree Works), but everything else seems to be just fine. No insects on it. Competely baffled! Hope it is just the extreme heat. However, the heat hasn't affected the red oak planted just 6-8 feet away. They're both on the north side.

Thanks for the reply. I'll watch it; probably spray it again with Garrett Juice when I hit my flowers later this week. Think that will be ok???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:53 pm 

It should be fine. If it were to repeat this NEXT year, I'd double check things like sufficient aeration of the soil.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.