It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:01 pm 

Dear Forum Members -

I just received guidance from Howard on how to best handle my emerging root problem on a seven and a half year old Fantex (Texas Green Ash) tree. Howard says that I need to plant some sort of ground cover over the emerging roots, and I need some expert advice on two items to accomplish this task: (1) I need to know how to prepare the ground under the tree where the roots are emerging (some as big as 2 1/2 inches in diameter, but most about an inch in diameter). i.e., what compost, soil or other approprieate medium to choose and use ?? (2) I need to know what ground cover to choose to plant in the prepared and conditioned soil or compost medium under the tree.

I have had some bad experience with English Black Ivy, Asian Jasmine and honeysuckle.....so I prefer to avoid use of any of these. What I really need is a ground cover that grows no higher than about six inches does not spread aimlessly and encroach into existing lawn and flower beds, and is evergreen.

If anyone out there can help me with all or any part of my dilemma, I would be grateful. :?:

signed Killeen Gene [/b]

Living in Central Texas next to Killeen and Fort Hood about mid-way between Temple and Copperas Cove, in Bell County (Zone 5) with mostly black and white (Kiliche) soil. Appear to be on the borderline for annual plant survival,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:02 pm 

The native horseherb would be the best choice probably because it can be planted in any soil with very little bed preparation. By far the best way to prepare beds under trees is with the air spade to avoid damaging roots but home owners can simply work compost int the soil with a trowel while planting the ground cover plants. Having nothing but lava gravel or shredded mulch under the tree is also OK.